Order of Saint George and Reunion
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Order of Saint George and Reunion|
|Original badge of the order, 1819|
|Awarded by the Kingdom of Two Sicilies|
|Type||Dynastic order of knighthood|
|Awarded for||Military valor and merit|
|First Grand Master||Ferdinand I of the Two Sicilies|
|Established||1 January 1819|
|Next (higher)||Royal Order of the Two-Sicilies|
|Next (lower)||Royal Order of Francis I|
|Ribbon of the Order|
It was created on 1 January 1819 by Ferdinand I of the Two Sicilies to reward military valor and merit. It received its name to celebrate the reunification of the dominions located namely (Naples and Sicily) into one kingdom after the Congress of Vienna.
The Order is divided into eight Ranks:
- Knights of Grand Cross with neck ribbon, cross and plate;
- Grand Officers, with neck ribbon, cross without St. George and plate with smaller sunburst decoration;
- Commanders with neck ribbon and cross;
- Officers, with ribbon, small tassel and cross at buttons;
- Knights of Law, with ribbon and cross and buttons;
- Knights of Mercy, with ribbon and cross at buttons;
- Golden medal;
- Silver medal.
The decoration is formed by: ruby enameled lilied cross with in the middle a white enameled round plate bearing the image of a mounted St. George running the dragon through with his sword, bordered by a circle of blue enamel with the inscription "IN HOC SIGNO VINCES" and a laurel wreath.
The decoration of the Knights of Grand Cross has a golden image of St. George hanging down from the lower arm of the cross; the Royal Crown tops it.
- Royal Order of Francis I
- Order of Saint Ferdinand and of Merit
- Order of Saint Januarius
- Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
- Collezione delle leggi e de' decreti reali del regno delle Due Sicilie (in Italian). Stamperia reale. 1819. p. 13.
- Del real ordine militare di S. Giorgio della riunione: Legge istitutiva ... e decreto che abolisce l'ordine delle Due Sicilie, 1853. (Italian)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Order of Saint George and Reunion.|