Order of the Crown of Johor
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Order of the Crown of Johor
Darjah Mahkota Johor Yang Amat Mulia
|Awarded by Johor|
|Sovereign||Ibrahim Ismail of Johor|
|Grades||Knight Grand Commander (SPMJ)
Knight Commander (DPMJ)
|Next (higher)||Royal Family Order of Johor|
|Next (lower)||Order of the Loyalty of Sultan Ismail (Johor)|
Ribbon bar of the order
The Most Illustrious Order of the Crown of Johor, or Darjah Mahkota Johor Yang Amat Mulia, is an Order of chivalry awarded by the Sultan of Johor. It was first instituted July 31, 1886.
It is awarded in three classes:
- Knight Grand Commander (Dato' Sri Paduka-S.P.M.J.),
- Knight Commander (Dato' Paduka-D.P.M.J.) and
- Companion (Setia-S.M.J.).
Male recipients of these royal awards, the Dato' Sri Paduka Mahkota Johor (SPMJ) and the Dato' Paduka Mahkota Johor (DPMJ) are entitled to be addressed with the honorary title “Dato” (equivalent to ‘Sir’) and their female spouse “Datin” (equivalent to ‘Lady’). Female recipients are given the honorary title Datin Paduka (equivalent to 'Dame') but there is no accompanying title for their male spouse.
The Order of the Crown of Johor is the oldest royal order in the country, introduced some 30 years before any of the other Malaysian royal households introduced a similar order. The awards are bestowed based on three main criteria namely; loyalty, meticulous service and diligence. Since these royal awards were first conferred in 1886, only 712 individuals have been honoured, an average of only five honours per year making it reputedly the rarest and hence most prestigious ‘Datoship’ (or knighthood) to get in Malaysia. Awards are conferred at His Majesty's discretion, in conjunction with the birthday of HRH the Sultan of Johor. The annual Honours List is published in most mainstream Malaysian media and newspapers.
Dato' Sri Paduka - S.P.M.J
- Mahathir bin Mohamad [unreliable source?]
- Lee Kuan Yew
- Tan Hiok Nee
- Toh Ah Boon 
- Abdul Ghani Othman
- Jaafar Haji Muhammad
- Muhyiddin Yassin
- Puan Sri Datin Paduka Noorainee Abdul Rahman
- Dato Amar DiRaja Abdul Rahman Andak
- Aw Cheng Chye (1968)
Dato' Paduka - D.P.M.J
Setia - S.M.J.
- Royal Ark, Decorations of Johor
- World Medal Index, Decorations of Johor
- Colecciones Militares (Antonio Prieto Barrio), Decorations of Johor
- Coronation website of Sultan Ibrahim 
- "Polar explorer and three others stripped of Datukship. The Star . 12 June 2010".
- Mahathir Mohammad Background
- Toh Ah Boon
- Royal honours for DPM's wife, The Star, 30 November 2013
- "柔佛蘇丹今日慶祝華誕封賜一六七人姚庭珊劉金鐘受封太平局紳新山巨刧案殉職警員獲追封". Nanyang Siang Pau (in Chinese). Singapore. 28 October 1968. Retrieved 10 October 2017 – via Singapore National Library.
- Written at Johor Bahru. "柔佛州臣民昨熱烈慶祝 蘇丹殿下六九華誕 新山舉行盛大閱兵禮水上運動會 六十四位有功臣民受封各級勳銜 胡淸才封拿督湯振波陳錦泉膺SMJ". Nanyang Siang Pau (in Chinese). Singapore. 29 October 1963. Retrieved 10 October 2017 – via Singapore National Library.
- "AW CHENG CHYE IS THE ONLY NEW DATO". The Straits Times. Singapore. 29 October 1963. Retrieved 10 October 2017 – via Singapore National Library.
- Toh Ah Boon
|This article related to orders, decorations, and medals is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|