Orders, decorations, and medals of Namibia
The Republic of Namibia has an honours system comprising orders, medals, military decorations, and police decorations. Legislation also provides for the establishment of decorations and medals for the intelligence service, the prisons service, and the fire services.
These honours and awards superseded those used by the then territory of South West Africa before independence in 1990.
The following orders are conferred by the President of Namibia:
- Order of the Most Ancient Welwitschia Mirabilis (1995- ) — for the President and other heads of state.
- Most Brilliant Order of the Sun (born 1995) — for meritorious service.
- Most Excellent Order of the Eagle (born 1995) — for diplomatic services.
- Order of the Mukorob (born 1995) — for meritorious military service.
- Most Distinguished Order of Namibia (born 1995) — for meritorious service.
- Independence Medal (1995) — to commemorate the independence of Namibia in 1990.
- Liberation Medal (1995) — for services connected with the liberation of Namibia from South African administration.
Namibian Defence Force
The Namibian Defence Force has the following decorations and medals:
- Namibian Cross for Bravery: Gold
- Namibian Cross for Bravery: Silver
- Namibian Cross for Bravery: Bronze
- Campaign Medal — for service in military operations, e.g. in East Timor and Sierra Leone.
- Medal of Honour — presented to the next-of-kin of NDF personnel who are killed on service.
- Service Medal: Gold — for 30 years service in the NDF.
- Service Medal: Silver — for 20 years service in the NDF.
- Service Medal: Bronze — for 10 years service in the NDF.
- Namibian Champion Shot Medal — for the winners of the annual shooting championships.
Namibian Police Force
- NP Cross of Honour (CH) (2003- ) — for a very exceptional death-defying act of conspicuous bravery.
- NP Cross for Bravery (CB) (2003- ) — for an act of bravery in great danger.
- Decoration for Outstanding Meritorious Svce of the Highest Order (OMS) (2003- ) — for outstanding meritorious service of the highest order (officers only).
- Decoration for Outstanding Meritorious Service and Utmost Devotion to Duty (DSD) (2003- ) — for outstanding meritorious service and utmost devotion to duty (other ranks only).
- Commendation Medal (2003- ) — for special service of a high order.
- Campaign Medal (2003- ) — for service in operations.
- Medal of Honour (2003- ) — presented to the next-of-kin of NPF personnel who are killed in the execution of their duties.
- Wound Medal (2003- ) — for being severely wounded in the execution of duty.
- NP Service Medal: Gold (2003- ) — for 30 years service in the NPF.
- NP Service Medal: Silver (2003- ) — for 20 years service in the NPF.
- NP Service Medal: Bronze (2003- ) — for 10 years service in the NPF.
- Reservist Medal (2003- ) — for 5 years service as a police reservist.
- Honourable Discharge Medal (2003- ) — awarded on honourable discharge from the NPF.
- President's Shottist Medal (2003- ) — for the winners of the annual shooting championships.
- Namibia Central Intelligence Service Regulations (Government Gazette 1876 (5 June 1998))
- Regulations for the Administration and Control of the Namibian Prisons Service (Government Gazette 2643 (8 November 2001))
- Local Authorities Fire Brigade Services Act 2006 (Government Gazette 3760 (29 December 2006))
- Proclamation No 2 of 1995 (Government Gazette 1048 (17 March 1995))
- Regulations relating to the award of decorations and medals to members of the Namibian Police Force (Government Gazette 2997 (20 June 2003)