Ordre des Palmes Académiques
|Order of Academic Palms|
Commander's Necklet of the Order
|Awarded by Ministry of National Education of The Republic of France|
|Type||Order of Merit|
|Awarded for||Distinguished contributions to education or culture|
|Grand Master||President Emmanuel Macron|
|Chancellor||Najat Vallaud-Belkacem, The Minister of National Education|
|Grades||Commander, 1st Class
Officer, 2nd Class
Member, 3rd Class
|Next (higher)||Order of Merit|
|Next (lower)||Order for Agricultural Merit|
The three graded ribbon bars of the Order
The Ordre des Palmes académiques (Order of Academic Palms) is a national order of France for distinguished academics and figures in the world of culture and education. Originally a decoration founded by Emperor Napoléon to honour eminent members of the University of Paris, it was changed into its current form as an Order on 4 October 1955 by President René Coty.
In 1866, the scope of the award was widened to include major contributions to French national education and culture made by anyone, including foreigners. It was also made available to any French expatriates making major contributions to the expansion of French culture throughout the rest of the world.
Since 1955, the Ordre des Palmes académiques has comprised three grades, each grade having a fixed number of recipients:
- Commander (Commandeur) — gold cross of 60 mm with a coronet ("couronne") worn on necklet.
- Officer (Officier) — gold cross of 55 mm worn on ribbon with rosette on left breast.
- Member (Chevalier) — silver cross of 50 mm worn on ribbon on left breast.
Decisions on nominations and promotions are decided by the Minister of Education. For those not connected to state-sponsored public education, or the Ministry of National Education, these honours are announced on 1 January, New Year's Day. For all others, they are made on 14 July, which is French National Day.
- Monique Adolphe
- Michel Alaux
- Pierre Arpaillange
- Lucie Aubrac
- Jules Benoit-Lévy
- Henri Betti
- Françoise Blime-Dutertre
- Isabelle Bogelot
- Dounia Bouzar
- Henri Brocard
- Alexandre Bouzdine
- Colette Caillat
- Yves Coppens
- Patrick Cousot
- Jean Delaire
- Émilie Desjeux
- Louis Dewis
- Claire Gibault
- Anna Krauth-Ballinger
- Hervé Laborne
- Patrick Louis
- Germain Marc'hadour
- Subrata K. Mitra
- Marcel Pagnol
- Pierre Louis Rouillard
- Roger Taillibert
- Henriette Tirman
- Marie-Pier Ysser
- Philippe Zawieja
- Bruno Bernard, Belgian author dictionary French foreign languages
- Francis L. Lawrence (1937–2013), classical drama and baroque poetry scholar, President of Rutgers University (1990–2002)
- Ali-Akbar Siassi, Iranian intellectual, psychologist and politician during the 1930s and 1960s, serving as the country's Foreign Minister, Minister of Education, Chancellor of University of Tehran, and Minister of State without portfolio.
- Javad Tabatabai, Iranian thinker
- Ahmad Kamyabi Mask, Iranian littérateur
- Léopold Sédar Senghor
- Buddy Wentworth, Namibian politician, for his contributions to the Namibian independence struggle
- "Décret n°55-1323 du 4 octobre 1955 portant institution d'un ordre des Palmes académiques.". Legifrance. French Republic. Retrieved February 17, 2017.
- "Les Palmes académiques, la plus ancienne distinction civile". Le Parisien. February 22, 2010. Retrieved February 18, 2017.
- Hieronymussen, Poul Ohm (1970). Orders, medals, and decorations of Britain and Europe in colour. London, U.K.: Blandford Press. p. 162. ISBN 9780713704457. OCLC 768124951.
- "MONIQUE ADOLPHE". Académie royale de médecine de Belgique. Retrieved February 18, 2017.
- Evangelista, Nick (1994). The Encyclopedia of the Sword. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 14. ISBN 9780313278969. OCLC 29954316.
- Lawrence, Francis L. Leadership in Higher Education: Views from the Presidency (New Brunswick, New Jersey: Transaction Publishers, 2006), 345.
- Javad Tatabai, Institut d'études avancées de Paris
- "Former deputy minister Wentworth dies". The Namibian. 5 June 2014.
- Mirabel-Sérodes, Françoise (2008). Les palmes académiques. Paris: NANEditions. ISBN 9782843680724. OCLC 377991989.
- Association des Membres de l'Ordre des Palmes Académiques (in French)
- France: Order of the Academic Palms Medals of the World