Orebodies 18, 23 and 25 mine
|Production||37.8 million tonnes/annum|
|Company||BHP Billiton Mitsui Iron (10%) Itochu Minerals (5%)|
|Website||BHP Billiton website|
The Orebodies 18, 23 and 25 mine is an iron ore mine located in the Pilbara region of Western Australia, 8 kilometres east of Newman. The mine is majority-owned (85 percent) and operated by BHP Billiton, and is one of seven iron ore mines the company operates in the Pilbara. The company also operates two port facilities at Port Hedland, Nelson Point and Finucane Island, and over 1,000 kilometres of rail in the Pilbara.
BHP Billiton is the second-largest iron ore mining company in the Pilbara, behind Rio Tinto and ahead of the Fortescue Metals Group. As of 2010, BHP employs 8,000 people in its Pilbara operations.
On 25 February 2014 Macmahon Holdings announced that the operations at Orebody 18 would be run by BHP Billiton, completing the transition to owner-operator for all BHP iron ore mine sites in Western Australia.
The first iron ore mine to be developed in the Pilbara was the Goldsworthy mine in 1965. It was supported by a railway line, the Goldsworthy railway, as well as port facilities at Finucane Island. On 1 June 1966, the first shipment of iron ore left the Pilbara on board the Harvey S. Mudd.
At Orebody 25, BHP operates a processing plant consisting of a primary and secondary crusher, and a screening plant. BHP Billiton does not report the annual production of the mine separately, but rather together with its other Newman operations which, in 2009-10, produced a combined 37 million tonnes of ore.
- Combined production for the Newman Hub, consisting of Mount Whaleback, the Orebodies mine and Jimblebar from 1 July 2009 to 30 June 2010, of which 32.097 million tonnes are BHP's share (85%).
- MINEDEX website: Orebodies 18, 23 and 25 search result Archived 2008-09-11 at the Wayback Machine. accessed: 6 December 2010
- BHP Billiton Annual report 2010 BHP Billiton website, accessed: 6 December 2010
- About BHP Billiton Iron Ore BHP Billiton website, accessed: 6 December 2010
- Western Australian Mineral and Petroleum Statistic Digest 2009 Department of Mines and Petroleum website, accessed: 6 December 2010
- "ASX Announcement: Transition of Orebody 18 Contract". Macmahon Holdings. 25 February 2014. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- History of the Iron Ore Industry and the Pilbara BHP Billiton website, accessed: 6 December 2010