Oregon Catholic Press
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founder||Archbishop Alexander Christie|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Portland, Oregon|
|Publication types||Music, books, newspapers|
|Imprints||OCP, New Dawn Music, Spirit & Song, Trinitas, Catholic Sentinel, and El Centinela|
|No. of employees||150+|
Oregon Catholic Press (OCP, originally the Catholic Truth Society of Oregon) is a major publisher of Catholic liturgical music based in Portland, Oregon. The not-for-profit company publishes liturgical music, books, choral collections, hymnals, missals, and support materials serving the universal and multicultural church in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Korean and Chinese.
OCP also publishes music for youth and young adults, through its Spirt and Song imprint and religious education materials and academic and inspirational books through its Pastoral Press imprint. It also publishes the Catholic Sentinel, the diocesan newspaper for the Archdiocese of Portland.
OCP represents well-known contemporary Catholic liturgical music composers Dan Schutte, and the other members known as the St. Louis Jesuits (Bob Dufford, John Foley, Tim Manion and Roc O'Connor), Bernadette Farrell, Carey Landry, Michael Joncas, Bob Hurd, Tom Kendzia, and Christopher Walker.
- Breaking Bread, an annual missal, available with or without weekly readings
- Today's Missal, a seasonal missal printed 3 times a year, with most songs in a separate Music Issue
- Heritage Missal, an annual missal, with a repertoire leaning towards traditional hymns, Latin & chant.
- Misal de Dia, the Spanish-language equivalent to the English seasonal missal Today's Missal.
- Choose Christ Missal, a contemporary missal named after the popular song by OCP Composer Trevor Thompson. This missal includes a song mix geared towards those found in Spirit & Song along with psalms from the new Spirit & Psalm collection.
- Unidos en Cristo, a bilingual (Spanish & English) missal, with music and readings in both languages.
Hymnals (hardcover, one-time purchase)
- Glory & Praise, popular hymnal first published by North American Liturgy Resources in the 70's and 80's with Vatican II renewal. OCP purchased North American Liturgical Resources in 1987 and integrated Glory & Praise into its product lineup. In 2015, OCP published Glory and Praise Third Edition, expanding with newer compositions, bilingual and Spanish songs that represent the multicultural church today.
- JourneySongs, a hymnal consisting of traditional Catholic music as well as the more popular contemporary songs from Music Issue and Spirit & Song. This hymnal is meant to compete with GIA's RitualSong hymnal.
- Spirit & Song, music for youth and teens, as well as emerging Praise and Worship style songs.
- Rise Up & Sing, Scripture-based, liturgical hymnal for young children.
- Never Too Young, Contemporary songs for middle schoolers for prayer, liturgy and the classroom.
- Flor y Canto, a bilingual hymnal for churches that worship in both English and Spanish.
- Thánh Ca Dân Chúa, Music to support the rich culture and spiritual heritage of the Vietnamese community.
OCP also publishes Respond & Acclaim, a yearly subscription-based psalm resource, which includes a responsorial psalm and a gospel acclamation for every Sunday and Holy Day. The music for the Respond & Acclaim psalms was written by former publisher Owen Alstott.
- Bp. Alexander Sample, as Archbishop of Portland from 2013 to present, Chairman of the Board of Directors.
- Wade Wisler, Publisher, since April 2016.
- John Limb, Publisher Emeritus, continues to support the mission and strategic plans for OCP.
- Owen Alstott, former Publisher and member of the Board of Directors.
- Oregon Catholic Press (official website)
- NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) Oral History Interview with John Limb April 26, 2006