|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
The Oregon Vortex is a roadside attraction located in Gold Hill, Oregon, in the United States. It consists of a number of interesting effects, which are gravity hill optical illusions, but which the attraction's proprietors propose are the result of paranormal properties of the area. It is located at Coordinates: .
According to the locals, a gold assay office built in the area in 1904 slid from its foundation in the early teens, coming to rest at an odd angle. Odd angles seem to create an illusion of objects seemingly rolling uphill. The same effect can be seen in The Montana Vortex and house of mystery, Pennsylvania's Laurel Caverns, and at Santa Cruz, California's Mystery Spot. Oregon Vortex is also famous for "height change" as the relative height of the two people changes varying on where they stand. Most people believe this effect happens due to a distorted background which results in a forced perspective, as with an Ames room. It also shares similar properties with the mystery spot located outside St.Ignace in the upper peninsula of Michigan. The effects are interestingly similar. People[who?] have claimed that when bringing horses or other animals to the vortex, they would reverse and attempt to get away.
In popular culture
- The site was investigated on a second season episode of the SyFy reality show Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files, and although there seemed to be a small debate between the show's investigators over the "height change" phenomenon, they ultimately concluded that overall, all of the effects demonstrated were optical illusions.
- It was also mentioned on season 3, episode 11 ("Mystery Spot"), of The CW's Supernatural by Jared Padalecki's character, Sam Winchester.
- It may also be the inspiration for the setting of the Disney Channel show "Gravity Falls."
- Moreover, it is alluded to by one of the places that can be visited in the game Sam & Max Hit the Road. One of the locations that can be visited in the game is called Mystery Vortex and is located roughly at the position of the Oregon Vortex on the in-game map of the United States.
- In The X-Files an "Oregon Vortex" is mentioned during the season seven episode number five "Rush".
- If you look up "Gravity Falls, Oregon" on Google Earth it would lead you to this place.