Oren Ben-Dor (Hebrew: אורן בן דור ) is a professor of law and philosophy at the University of Southampton School of Law in the United Kingdom. He has published two books on these topics and edited a third on the troubled relationship between law and art. He has been published in various academic and mainstream publications.
Ben-Dor is a former Israeli, born in Nahariya in northern Israel. He has supported academic boycotts of Israel universities, writing that those on the Israeli "left" who oppose it are "sophisticated accomplices to the smothering of debate." He has written about alleged apartheid in Israel, bias in Israel's education system, the ethical and legal challenges facing Palestine, and the use of violence by the Israeli state.
As a contributor to the newsletter CounterPunch, he has written against Israel’s role in the 2006 Lebanon War and in the Gaza War of December 2008 to January 2009. Criticizing Israel's tactics against Hamas, Ben-Dor wrote that "assassinating individual members of Hamas, even toppling the organisation, destroying its infrastructure and buildings, will not destroy the legitimate opposition to the arrogant and self-righteous Zionist entity." In 2007 he joined a number of intellectuals and activists in signing a "One State Declaration" which calls for one democratic state in the whole of Israel and Palestine. He has supported that alternative in public debate. Ben-Dor has engaged in academic debate with Oren Yiftachel in the journal Holy Land Studies regarding the One-State solution.
- Editor, Law and Art: Ethics, Aesthetics, Justice, Routledge Cavendish, April 25, 2010, ISBN 0-415-56021-7 ISBN 978-0415560214
- Review of A Stranger in the Land: Jewish Identity beyond Nationalism, Journal of Palestine Studies, Summer 2008, Vol. 37, No. 4, Pages 91–92
- Transcending Nationalism, Journal of Palestine Studies, Autumn 2007, Vol. 37, No. 1, Pages 112–113
- Debating Israeli Ethnocracy and the Challenge of Secular Democracy: I. A Critique of Oren Yiftachel, Holy Land Studies: A Multidisciplinary Journal, Volume 6, Number 2, November 2007
- Thinking About Law: In Silence With Heidegger, Hart Publishing (UK), September 2007, ISBN 1-84113-354-X ISBN 978-1841133546
- Book Review: “Catastrophe Remembered”, Holy Land Studies: A Multidisciplinary Journal, Volume 6, Number 1, pp. 119–121, Edinburgh University Press, May 2007, E-ISSN 1750-0125 Print ISSN 1474-9475
- Challenging Core Immorality in Palestine: Philosophical Reflections on the Anti-Apartheid Struggle and the Current “Boycott of Israel” Debate, Volume 6, Page 75-105, May 2007, Edinburgh University Press, ISSN 1474-9475.
- Constitutional Limits and Public Sphere: A Critical Study of Bentham's Constitutionalism, Hart Publishing (UK), March 2001, ISBN 1-84113-111-3 ISBN 978-1841131115
- Oren Ben-Dor, Oren Ben-Dor: "Who are the real terrorists in the Middle East?", CounterPunch, July 26, 2006.
- University of Southampton Law School Academic Biography of Oren Ben-Dor.
- Oren Ben-Dor, The boycott should continue: A fight to foster real academic freedom in Israel should unite academics all over the world, The Independent, May 30, 2005.
- Oren Ben-Dor, Academic Freedom in Israel is Central to Resolving the Conflict; To Create It, an Academic Boycott is Needed, CounterPunch, Weekend Edition, May 21 / 22, 2005.
- Academic freedom in context, Al-Ahram Weekly, Issue No. 747, June 16–22, 2005.
- Oren Ben-Dor, Israeli Apartheid is the Core of the Crisis, CounterPunch, 24 June 2007.
- The portrayal of Arabs in textbooks in the Jewish school system in Israel, Arab Studies Quarterly, January 1, 2007.
- Oren Ben-Dor, Ethical and Legal Challenges Facing Palestine, CounterPunch, December 15, 2005.
- Tom McGurk, Gaza is at the centre of an unwinnable war, The Sunday Business Post, January 4, 2009.
- Oren Ben-Dor, The Self-Defense of Suicide; Despite It's Military Might, Israel is a Weak and Dying State, CounterPunch, January 1, 2009.
- Just one state, Al-Ahram Weekly, Issue No. 876, December 20–26, 2007.
- Arvind Sivaramakrishnan, A one-state solution for Israel and Palestine, The Hindu, July 24, 2008.
- Yiftachel, Oren, (2007), "II. From Ethnocracy to Peace through Gradual Bi-Nationalism: A Response to Oren Ben-Dor", Holy Land Studies: A Multidisciplinary Journal, Volume 6, Number 2, November 187-195
- Ben-Dor, Oren (2007) "Debating Israeli Ethnocracy and the Challenge of Secular Democracy: I. A Critique of Oren Yiftachel", Holy Land Studies: A Multidisciplinary Journal, Volume 6, Number 2, November