||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2010)|
Oren Harman is a writer and a professor of the history of science at Bar Ilan University in Israel. He is best known as the author of several critically acclaimed scholarly works as well as works published by commercial publishers popularizing scientific ideas for a mass audience.
Oren Harman was born in Jerusalem on January 25, 1973. He grew up and was educated in Jerusalem and in New York City, where he attended the Collegiate School of Boys and excelled at soccer (he was dubbed "the little Israeli magician" by New York Newsday). He graduated from the Hebrew University Secondary School in Jerusalem. His book, The Price of Altruism: George Price and the Search for the Origins of Kindness, won the 2010 Los Angeles Times Book Prize in the category of Science and Technology.
Harman studied history and biology at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, where he graduated summa cum laude. He then received a Master's degree and D.Phil. with distinction from Oxford University, before spending two years at Harvard University, conducting research and teaching in the Department of History of Science.
Harman was subsequently awarded the prestigious Alon Award for academic excellence. He teaches courses in evolutionary theory, the interplay between scientific, social, and philosophical thought, and writing. He lives in Tel Aviv.
Harman is currently the Chair of the Graduate Program in Science, Technology and Society at Bar Ilan University, Israel. His specialties include the history and philosophy of modern biology, evolutionary theory, the evolution of altruism, twentieth century genetics, and historical biography.
Harman is a frequent contributor to The New Republic, and Haaretz Magazine, and is the co-creator of the Israeli Oscar-nominated documentary series "Did Herzl Really Say That?" His work has been featured in Science, Nature, The New York Times, The Times, TLS, The New York Review of Books, The Economist, Forbes, The Huffington Post and many others.
- The Man Who Invented the Chromosome. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2004.
- Rebels, Mavericks and Heretics in Biology. With Michael Dietrich. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2008.
- The Price of Altruism: George Price and the Search for the Origins of Kindness. New York: W.W.Norton/Bodley Head/Random House, 2010. ISBN 978-1-84792-062-1
- "Outsider Scientists: Routes to Innovation in Biology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 2013
- Robynn "Swoopy" McCarthy (host), Oren Harman (29 June 2010). "Skepticality". http://www.skepticality.com (Podcast). The Skeptics Society. 7min 30sec. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Harman, Oren. "Oren Harman, Chair | Science, Technology & Society Dept. at Bar Ilan University". Tel Aviv, Israel: Science, Technology and Society Program Bar-Ilan University. Retrieved 28 March 2014.