Headquarters of the Rede Globo in São Paulo.
|Founded||25 June 1925|
|Headquarters||Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil|
|Roberto Irineu Marinho (president)
Carlos Schroder (CEO)
|Revenue||R$ 16,7 billions (2015)|
Grupo Globo (English: Globo Group), formerly known as Organizações Globo (English: Globo Organization), is the largest mass media group of Latin America, founded in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1925 by Irineu Marinho. It also formerly owned companies on the food industry and the real estate and financial markets.
The first enterprise of the company was the newspaper A Noite. With the success of the newspaper, published on the late afternoon, Marinho decided to launch the morning daily O Globo in 1925. After his sudden death, just weeks after the launch of O Globo, his son, Roberto Pisani Marinho, became the director of the company. Working actively on the media business, Roberto Marinho decided to invest in other areas and launched Radio Globo in 1944. However, the company only became recognizable nationwide after the launching of Rede Globo, the second-largest commercial TV network in the world, in 1965.
The company is currently run by the sons of Roberto Marinho: Roberto Irineu Marinho, João Roberto Marinho and José Roberto Marinho. In May 2013, a study released by media agency ZenithOptimedia showed Globo occupied the 17th place in a list with the top global media owners. It was the first time the company appeared on this ranking. This ranking was still held in 2015.
- Chris Ariens (6 September 2017). "Q&A: Globo’s CEO on How the Latin American Media Giant Is Competing With Netflix". Adweek. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- John Hopewell (23 February 2016). "Brazilian Giant Globo Reveals First Results, Strategies of New VOD Service Globo Play (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- "Organizações Globo adotam nova marca: Grupo Globo". O Globo (in Portuguese). Rio de Janeiro: Grupo Globo. 27 August 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- Globo.com - Other Media, Rede Globo, retrieved May 29, 2011
- "Rede Globo se torna a 2ª maior emissora do mundo" (in Portuguese). O Fuxico. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Page Not Found – Zenith" (PDF). Zenith.
- "Account Suspended" (PDF). www.zenithoptimedia.com.cn.
- (in Portuguese) Grupo Globo official website