Organization & Environment
|Discipline||Sustainability management and policy, Environmental Studies|
|Edited by||Maurizio Zollo|
|Industrial Crisis Quarterly, Industrial & Environmental Crisis Quarterly|
Organization & Environment (O&E) is a peer-reviewed academic journal that covers the fields of "sustainability management, policy and related social science". The editor-in-chief is Maurizio Zollo (Bocconi University). The journal was established in 1987 and is published by SAGE Publications; it is sponsored by the Group of Research on Organizations and the Natural Environment (GRONEN).
Abstracting and indexing
Under the editorship of founding co-editor John M. Jermier and a number of editors, the journal took an interdisciplinary direction, playing host to a variety of perspectives including critical organization theory and radical ecology. Collaboration between members of the Organization and Natural Environment section of the Academy of Management and the Section on Environment and Technology section of the American Sociological Association was at the heart of the journal's framework. During this period O&E became a prominent outlet for environmental sociology, publishing articles both from established and world-renowned environmental thinkers and younger scholars who would later become leaders in environmental sociology. The journal played an important role in increasing the influence of environmental sociology within the larger discipline and by 2011 its impact factor had grown to rival that of distinguished general interest journals such as Social Problems and Social Forces.
The following persons have been (co-)editors of the journal:
- Paul Shrivastava (founding co-editor, Concordia University)
- John M. Jermier (founding co-editor, University of South Florida), 1997-2012
- John Bellamy Foster (University of Oregon), 1996-2001
- Richard York (University of Oregon), 2006-2012
- J. Alberto Aragon-Correa (University of Granada), 2012–present
- Mark Starik (San Francisco State University), 2012–present
As of December 1, 2012, Organization & Environment is edited by Aragon-Correa and Starik. From this point, the journal aims to conduct "rigorous explorations and analyses of the multiple connections between the management of organizations and any of the relevant dimensions of sustainability"; targeted contributors are "sustainability management, policy, and related social science researchers".
The December 2012 editorial transition was strongly criticized by (now former) editorial board members of Organization & Environment as an "editorial coup" on the part of Sage and GRONEN. According to one account, the editorial transition was decided upon and carried out by Sage independently of its editors/editorial board, without their prior knowledge or acceptance. Critics have pointed out that this is not the first time accusations of this sort have been leveled at Sage. In 2009, political scientists charged that the editor of Political Theory was replaced unilaterally and unfairly. Sage was forced to apologize, admitting that "whatever" they had done "was done without consulting the scholars on the editorial board of the journal".
Critics also argue that the pro-corporate/management stance of GRONEN stands in stark contrast to the work of previous O&E editors and writers, many of whom tended strongly to emphasize the role of corporate power in perpetuating environmental degradation. In a statement published in October 2012, 25 members of the editorial board of O&E resigned in protest of the transition.
- "Call for Papers," Organization & Environment[permanent dead link]. Accessed: December 2, 2012.
- Official webpage. Accessed: December 2, 2012.
- "Title Suppressions". Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- Foster, John Bellamy (Fall 2012). "Organization & Environment: The Jermier Years, 1997-2012". American Sociological Association Environment and Technology Newsletter: 1–3.
- "Biography", Paul Shrivastava. Accessed: December 2, 2012.
- "Organization & Environment", Patel Center, University of South Florida. Accessed: December 2, 2012.
- "John M. Jermier", Sagepub.com. Accessed: December 2, 2012.
- "Curriculum Vitae," John Bellamy Foster, November 2012. Accessed: December 2, 2012.
- "Curriculum Vitae", Richard York, October 2012. Accessed: December 2, 2012.
- "Editorial Transition in Organization & Environment", Sagepub.com. Accessed: August 29, 2012.
- "Statement of Collective Withdrawal from Editorial Review Board of Organization & Environment". Climate & Capitalism. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- "Notes from the Editors". Monthly Review. 64 (7). October 2012. Retrieved October 12, 2012.
- Jaschik, Scott (July 7, 2009). "Who Controls Journals?". Inside Higher Ed. Retrieved 13 October 2012.
- Official website
- Group of Research on Organizations and the Natural Environment
- Former editors' website, University of South Florida (through December 2012; does not reflect current editors or journal contact information)