Organization of Pakistani Entrepreneurs of North America
The Organization of Pakistani Entrepreneurs and Professionals (OPEN) is a not-for-profit organization, whose sole focus is the promotion of entrepreneurship and professional growth. OPEN is a secular and non-political organization based in California.
OPEN was formed in 1998 by a group of Pakistani American entrepreneurs and corporate executives, and was registered in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the year 2000. The first OPEN chapter was formed in Boston, MA. The organization consists of corporate professionals, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, banking professionals, social leaders and academics.
- To facilitate and encourage the growth of Pakistani American entrepreneurs and professionals in the Silicon Valley.
- To promote and provide growth opportunities for Pakistani Americans within the greater community through regular mentoring and networking.
- To provide financing assistance and mentorship to enterprising individuals through programs such as the business plan competition and monthly business plan critiques.
- To develop ongoing events through which local professionals can meet and network amongst themselves and with other influential individuals.
- To recognize accomplishments of Pakistani American entrepreneurs and professionals.
- Promoting contacts and creating bridges between entrepreneurs in the US and professionals in Pakistan
OPEN Chapters have at its core a Charter membership comprising Pakistanis in the areas of finance, technology, telecommunications, biotech and consulting in North America. OPEN regularly organizes events pertaining to current issues in business and entrepreneurship. In addition to OPEN's Charter Members, OPEN includes executive committees of seasoned entrepreneurs and professionals from a multitude of industries and professions that help plan, coordinate, and execute OPEN's mission. Each chapter's charter members and executive committee members are joined by General Members who are dues-paying members of OPEN that participate in and contribute to OPEN's events and services.
OPEN Annual Forum - keynote speakers
Since its establishment in 1998, OPEN Annual Forum have had many distinguished speakers address it including former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, political leader Imran Khan, venture capitalist from California, Mike Moritz and former Governor of Vermont, Howard Dean.
Flood relief work
OPEN raised and collected nearly $500,000 for flood victims in Pakistan.
- Shaista Khilji, Chris Rowley (2012). "Profile of Organization of Pakistani Entrepreneurs of North America on GoogleBooks website". Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- Almas Akhtar (25 June 2012). "Organization of Pakistani Entrepreneurs of North America (OPEN)". The Muslim Observer (US weekly newspaper). Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- "OPEN - Organization of Pakistani Entrepreneurs of North America". Profile of OPEN on Boston GreenFest.org website. 2009. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- Khurram Zafar (15 January 2014). "Promising entrepreneurial developments". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 10 January 2018.