Organizational project management
The term Organizational Project Management (OPM) was coined by John Schlichter in May 1998 in a meeting of the Standards Committee of the Project Management Institute.   OPM was defined as the execution of an organization's strategies through projects by combining the systems of portfolio management, program management, and project management. This definition was approved by a team of hundreds of professionals from 35 countries and was published as part of PMI's Organizational Project Management Maturity Model standard in 2003 and updated later to a second edition in 2008 when it also became an ANSI standard. The standard was updated to a third edition in 2013. The term "Organizational Project Management" should be capitalized because the term is a conventional designation for exactly the systems of processes elaborated in ANSI/PMI 08-004-2008, because it is a proper name for that system and that system is definitive and regimented in its application, and because it does not denote generically any project management that is done in organizations.
According to PMI (2003, 2008, 2013)
Organizational Project Management is the systematic management of projects, programs, and portfolios in alignment with the achievement of strategic goals. The concept of organizational project management is based on the idea that there is a correlation between an organization's capabilities in project management, program management, and portfolio management, and the organization's effectiveness in implementing strategy.
- Organizational Project Management Maturity Model
- Program management
- Project Management Institute
- Project management
- Portfolio management
- Systems thinking
- Friedrich, R., Schlichter, J., & Haeck, W. (2003). The history of OPM3. Paper presented at PMI® Global Congress 2003—EMEA, The Hague, South Holland, The Netherlands. Newtown Square, PA: Project Management Institute.
- Schlichter, J. & Duncan, W. R. (1999). An organizational PM maturity model. PM Network, 13(2), 18.
- Aubrey, M., Hobbs, B., & Thuillier, D., Organisational project management: An historical approach to the study of PMOs, International Journal of Project Management, 26(1), 2008
- PMI (2003, 2008, 2013). Organizational Project Management Maturity Model (ISBN 9781935589709)
- ANSI/PMI 08-004-2008
- ANSI/PMI 08-004-2008