|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Stable release||2.2.5 / July 20, 2016|
|Type||Document-oriented database, Graph database, Multi-model database|
|License||Apache 2 License|
OrientDB is an open source NoSQL database management system written in Java. It is a multi-model database, supporting graph, document, key/value, and object models, but the relationships are managed as in graph databases with direct connections between records. It supports schema-less, schema-full and schema-mixed modes. It has a strong security profiling system based on users and roles and supports querying with Gremlin along with SQL extended for graph traversal. OrientDB uses several indexing mechanisms based on B-tree and Extendible hashing , the last one is known as "hash index", there are plans to implement LSM-tree and Fractal tree index based indexes. Each record has Surrogate key which indicates position of record inside of Array list , links between records are stored either as single value of record's position stored inside of referrer or as B-tree of record positions (so-called record IDs or RIDs) which allows fast traversal (with O(1) complexity) of one-to-many relationships and fast addition/removal of new links. OrientDB is the second most popular graph database according to the DB-Engines graph database ranking
The development of OrientDB still relies on a big open source community lead by OrientDB LTD company created by its original author Luca Garulli. The project uses GitHub to manage the sources, contributors and versioning, Google Group and StackOverflow to provide free support to the worldwide users. OrientDB also offers a free udemy course for those hoping to learn the basics and get started with OrientDB.
OrientDB is built with a multi-model graph/document engine. OrientDB feels like a graph database first, but there's no reason the key-value store can't be used on its own. While OrientDB includes a SQL layer, the support for edges effectively means that these may be used to traverse relationships rather than employing a JOIN statement. OrientDB handles every record / document as an object and the linking between objects / documents is not through references, its direct linking (saving pointer to object). This leads to quick retrieval of related data as compared to JOINS in RDBM.
Editions & licenses
OrientDB Community Edition is completely free for any use (Apache 2 license). Their open source software is built upon by a community of developers and is constantly improving. Features such as horizontal scaling, fault tolerance, clustering, sharding and replication aren’t disabled in OrientDB community.
OrientDB Enterprise Edition is the commercial extension of OrientDB Community Edition created to handle more robust and demanding use cases. OrientDB Enterprise Edition includes additional features such as Query Profiler, Distributed Clustering configuration, Metrics recording, and Live Monitor, Teleporter and with configurable Alerts.
- Quick installation. OrientDB can be installed and running in less than 60 seconds
- Fully transactional: supports ACID transactions guaranteeing that all database transactions are processed reliably and in the event of a crash all pending documents are recovered and committed.
- Graph structured data model: native management of graphs. Fully compliant with the Apache TinkerPop Gremlin (previously known as Blueprints) open source graph computing framework.
- SQL: supports SQL queries with extensions to handle relationships without SQL join, manage trees, and graphs of connected documents.
- Web technologies: natively supports HTTP, RESTful protocol, and JSON additional libraries or components.
- Distributed: full support for multi-master replication including geographically distributed clusters.
- Run anywhere: implemented using pure Java allowing it to be run on Linux, OS X, Windows, or any system with a compliant JVM.
- Embeddable: local mode to use the database bypassing the Server. Perfect for scenarios where the database is embedded.
- Apache 2 License: always free for any usage. No fees or royalties required to use it.
- Full server has a footprint of about 512 MB.
- Commercial support is available from OrientDB.
- Pattern matching: Introduced in version 2.2, the Match statement queries the database in a declarative manner, using pattern matching.
- Security features introduced in OrientDB 2.2 provide an extensible framework for adding external authenticators, password validation, LDAP import of database roles and users, advanced auditing capabilities, and syslog support. OrientDB Enterprise Edition provides Kerberos (protocol) authentication full browser SPNEGO support. When it comes to database encryption, starting with version 2.2, OrientDB can encrypt records on disk. This prevents unauthorized users from accessing database content or even from bypassing OrientDB security.
- Teleporter: Allows relational databases to be quickly imported into OrientDB in few simple steps.
- Cloud ready: OrientDB can be deployed in the cloud and supports the following providers: Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, CenturyLink Cloud, Jelastic, DigitalOcean
- Non-coding RNA human interaction database
- Master data management
- Loan management software (Floify)
- Traffic management systems
- Fraud Prevention
- Recommendation engines
- Social networking
- Big Data
OrientDB was originally authored by Luca Garulli in 2010. Luca wrote it as a Java rewrite of the fast persistent layer of Orient ODBMS database, which was originally written in C++. During 2012–2014 years storage engine was redeveloped by Andrey Lomakin. It has got new name "plocal" which stands for "paginated local". This name implies that new storage engine is based on the concept of a splitting of data files by pages and page is treated as a single atomic unit of change. Since 2012, the project is being sponsored by OrientDB LTD (former Orient Technologies LTD), a for-profit company with Luca as its CEO and founder. In 2013 Andrey Lomakin has joined the company as R&D lead engineer and company's co-owner.
OrientDB has been covered by multiple media outlets and is the winner of the prestigious 2015 Infoworld Bossie award.
- OrientDB releases
- "Multi-Model Database - OrientDB Manual".
- DB-Engines Ranking of Graph DBMS
- Github OrientDB
- OrientDB Google Group
- OrientDB on Stackoverflow
- udemy: OrientDB free online course
- 11 cutting-edge databases worth exploring now
- Diaku: more than governance
- Hidden Gems of Web / Mobile Development from Open-Source
- OrientDB Configurable Alerts
- OrientDB Installation Video
- OrientDB MATCH Statement
- OrientDB Security Features
- OrientDB Teleporter
- OrientDB Cloud Partners
- Comprehensive Reconstruction and Visualization of Non-Coding Regulatory Networks in Human
- Nuix 7 Conquers Customer Challenges for Today and Builds Hyper-Scale Capacity for the Future
- Diaku-Axon Case Study
- Dzone: Why I use OrientDB in Production
- OrientDB White Papers: Traffic Management Systems
- OrientDB White Papers: Detecting Fraud
- Movie Lens Recommendation Engine
- OrientDB Interview On Multi-Model DBs Management For Big Data
- Intervista a Luca Garulli
- Bossie Awards 2015: The best open source application development tools