MV Oriental Dragon
Oriental Dragon leaving Hong Kong.
|Owner:||Capital Dragon Global Holding|
|Operator:||Island Ship Management, Ltd.|
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Oy Wärtsilä Ab Helsinki Shipyard, Finland|
|Laid down:||18 May 1971|
|Launched:||27 November 1971|
|Completed:||10 November 1972|
|Length:||171.69 m (563.29 ft)|
|Beam:||24 m (78.74 ft)|
|Speed:||21 knots (39 km/h; 24 mph)|
|Capacity:||882 (lower berths)|
MV Oriental Dragon, originally named Sun Viking, was one of the three original cruise ships ordered by Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines as part of their early fleet. The ship was first put into service in the year 1972.
Along with her sister ships, the Song of Norway and Nordic Prince, the class comprised the first purpose built ships intended for Caribbean based cruise travel. Sun Viking cruised the Mexican Riviera on a 7 day itinerary out of L.A. and the Caribbean out of San Juan Puerto Rico in the early 1990s. The Sun Viking was retired in the late 1990s by Royal Caribbean, but remains in service with other cruise lines.
In 1998 the Sun Viking was sold to Star Cruises and renamed SuperStar Sagittarius. She was later renamed Hyundai Pongnae in 2003, sailing for the Hyundai Merchant Marine Company, before being renamed Omar III for Asia Cruises.
The ship was renamed Long Jie in 2007. The Long Jie was put up for sale on June 10, 2010. After being dry docked in Singapore, the Long Jie was transformed into the Oriental Dragon, leaving Singapore on 24 March 2011 bound for Guangzhou, China.
After several years of service as a gambling ship in Hong Kong, she moved to Penang, Malaysia to continue her career in late 2019.
In the 2018, Oriental Dragon featured in movie L Storm.
- Professional photographs from shipspotting.com
- "Oriental Dragon (7125861)". Equasis. French Ministry for Transport. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Oriental Dragon". Retrieved 18 May 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "LONG JIE". Retrieved 2012-04-28. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Asklander, Micke. "M/V VIKING SUN". Fakta om Fartyg. Retrieved 29 April 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Long Jie". Archived from the original on 2008-12-01. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Beneath Crown and Anchor, a History of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines First 25 Years. [Maxtone Ghram]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to IMO 7125861.|