|• Town manager||Osmo Pieski|
|• Total||814.01 km2 (314.29 sq mi)|
|• Land||785.34 km2 (303.22 sq mi)|
|• Water||28.87 km2 (11.15 sq mi)|
|Area rank||105th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||70th largest in Finland|
|• Density||20.21/km2 (52.3/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||16.4%|
|• 15 to 64||58%|
|• 65 or older||25.6%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||21.25%|
Orimattila (Finnish pronunciation: [ˈoriˌmɑtːilɑ]) is a town and municipality in the Päijänne Tavastia region, Finland. It is located 22 kilometres (14 mi) south of Lahti and 93 kilometres (58 mi) north of Helsinki.
The municipality has a population of 15,871 (31 March 2021) and covers an area of 814.01 square kilometres (314.29 sq mi) of which 28.87 km2 (11.15 sq mi) is water. The population density is 20.21 inhabitants per square kilometre (52.3/sq mi). The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The subject of the coat of arms of Orimattila, "a stallion horse carrying a scythe", refers to both the name of the municipality and local agriculture. The name itself comes from a house called Orhimattila, hosted by Henrich Mattzsson Orhimattila, which was already written in a 1573 book of judgment. The coat of arms was designed by Ahti Hammar and approved by the Orimattila Municipal Council at its meeting on September 15, 1956. The Ministry of the Interior approved the use of the coat of arms on December 17 of the same year.
The following sports clubs are located in Orimattila:
Twin towns — Sister cities
Orimattila is twinned with:
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M03*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003-2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- Suomen kunnallisvaakunat (in Finnish). Suomen Kunnallisliitto. 1982. p. 152. ISBN 951-773-085-3.; "Sisäasiainministeriön vahvistamat kaupunkien, kauppaloiden ja kuntien vaakunat I:11 Orimattila" (in Finnish). Kansallisarkiston digitaaliarkisto. Retrieved September 17, 2021.
- Orimattila: Historia (in Finnish)
- "1.1.2011 yhdistyvien kuntien uudet nimet". Kunnat.net (in Finnish). Helsinki: Suomen Kuntaliitto. 2 July 2010. Archived from the original on 15 April 2007. Retrieved January 1, 2011.
- "Finns Party gains, NCP top as turnout dips in Finnish local elections".
- "International cooperation". Valka. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
Media related to Orimattila at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Orimattila – Official website, finnish, swedish, english, german and russian