Orin C. Smith
Orin C. Smith
|Born||June 26, 1942|
Ryderwood, Washington, U.S.
|Died||March 1, 2018 (aged 75)|
Palm Desert, CA, U.S.
Orin C. Smith (June 26, 1942 – March 1, 2018) was president and chief executive officer of Starbucks Corporation from 2000 to 2005. He joined Starbucks as Vice President and chief financial officer in 1990, becoming President and chief operating officer in 1994, and a director of Starbucks in 1996.
Prior to joining Starbucks, Smith spent much of his career in management consulting with Deloitte & Touche. Later he became the Chief Budget Officer for two Governors: Dixie Lee Ray and Booth Gardner, followed by service as CFO of two international transportation companies.
With Smith onboard first as CFO then COO and finally CEO, Starbucks expanded to more than 10,000 locations worldwide and more than $5 billion in sales. Smith led Starbucks to link coffee production to the protection of rain forests. Smith retired from Starbucks in 2005 and later became a director of Nike, Inc. and The Walt Disney Company. He was elected independent lead director of The Walt Disney Company on March 13, 2012. He served as chair of the Starbucks Foundation, vice chair of the University of Washington Board of Regents and member of the Conservation International board of directors.
Smith graduated from the University of Washington in 1965 and the Harvard Business School in 1967. Smith was the recipient of many honors and awards, including the highest honor given to graduates of the Harvard Business School and one of Business Week's best managers in 2004.
Smith was a resident of Jackson, Wyoming. He was born in Ryderwood, Washington, a logging camp.. Soon after he was born, the family moved to Chehalis, Washington. He graduated from W. F. West High School in Chehalis where he grew up. He was a member of the 1960 high school basketball team, the Bearcats, which won the state Class A basketball championship. The local Vernetta Smith branch library in Chehalis, part of the Timberland Regional Library system, bears his mother's name.
- Sudermann, Hannelore (June 2018). "Orin Smith, 1942–2018: Soft-spoken CEO's philanthropy spoke volumes". Columns. University of Washington. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
- Lerman, Rachel (March 3, 2018). "Former Starbucks CEO, UW Regent Orin Smith dies at 75". The Seattle Times.
- Perednia, Graham (October 24, 2017). "Chehalis City Council Honors Prolific Philanthropist Orin Smith". The Chronicle. Centralia, Washington. Retrieved December 31, 2017.
- Smith, Vernetta (October 13, 2015). "Vernetta Smith Tells About Her Life in Ryderwood and Chehalis". The Chronicle. Centralia, Washington. Retrieved December 31, 2017.
- "Orin C. Smith, 1942–2018, Retired President and CEO, Starbucks Corporation". The Chronicle. March 3, 2018.
- Orin C. Smith corporate biography