Rosell playing for Catalonia in 2013
|Full name||Oriol Rosell Argerich|
|Date of birth||7 July 1992|
|Place of birth||Puig-reig, Spain|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
(on loan from Sporting CP)
|2012–2014||Sporting Kansas City||43||(2)|
|2016||→ Vitória Guimarães (loan)||4||(0)|
|2016||→ Vitória Guimarães B (loan)||2||(0)|
|2016–||→ Belenenses (loan)||14||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 30 January 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 30 December 2013
Oriol Rosell Argerich (Catalan pronunciation: [ˈuɾi ruˈzeʎ]; born 7 July 1992) is a Spanish footballer who plays for Portuguese club C.F. Os Belenenses on loan from Sporting Clube de Portugal as a defensive midfielder. He also represents the Catalonia national team.
Born in Puig-reig, Barcelona, Catalonia, Rosell joined FC Barcelona's youth system in 2006, aged 14. He made his senior debuts on 14 January 2012, playing seven minutes in a 1–3 away loss against UD Las Palmas in Segunda División and appearing in a further five league games during the season.
Rosell signed with Sporting Kansas City of Major League Soccer in August 2012, being given the number 20 and wearing "Uri" as his jersey name. He thus became the second player to graduate from Barcelona's La Masia and play in the competition, after Albert Celades. In just his second appearance for the team, on 1 September, he scored a game-winning goal against Toronto FC, netting in the 87th minute of a 2–1 home win.
Rosell made 31 appearances in 2013, heading a goal in a 3–1 win at the Philadelphia Union in the first match of the campaign. However, in the championship game against Real Salt Lake on 7 December, he was replaced injured in the eighth minute, as his team eventually prevailed in a penalty shootout after a 1–1 draw.
On 5 April 2014, Rosell received a straight red card in a goalless draw against Real Salt Lake at Sporting Park for a foul on Devon Sandoval. On 10 May he set an MLS record, after completing 160 of 166 passes against the Montreal Impact.
On 3 June 2014, Kansas City and Sporting Clube de Portugal agreed to a transfer for Rosell. As per MLS rules, the terms of the deal were not disclosed. He made his debut on the first day of the season, coming on for the injured Cédric Soares at half-time of a 1–1 Primeira Liga draw at Académica de Coimbra.
Rosell was sent off on 14 January 2015 in a 1–0 victory over Boavista F.C. for the Taça da Liga at the Estádio José Alvalade, for two yellow cards in the space of three minutes. He appeared in 21 all competitions comprised in his first year, remaining on the bench on 31 May 2015 as the Lions won the Taça de Portugal in a penalty shootout against S.C. Braga.
On 30 January 2016, Rosell was loaned to fellow league team Vitória S.C. until the end of the season, playing sparingly for both them and their reserves in the Segunda Liga. He returned to the top flight for the following campaign, at Sporting's city neighbours C.F. Os Belenenses.
In December 2013, Rosell was called up by the unofficial Catalonia national team for its friendly match against Cape Verde at the Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys in Barcelona on the 30th. He entered the pitch as a 68th-minute substitute for Real Valladolid's Marc Valiente, and lined up with Barcelona players Jordi Alba, Sergio Busquets, Cesc Fàbregas and Gerard Piqué as the side came from behind to win it 4–1.
Rosell publicly supported Catalan independence on several occasions, saying that he would refuse to play for Spain if requested. In 2014, he added that he would vote "Yes-Yes" in the Catalan self-determination referendum.
- As of 31 May 2015
|Club||Season||League||Copa del Rey||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|Club||Season||League||Open Cup||MLS Cup||North America||Total|
|Sporting Kansas City|
- Sporting Kansas City
- Sporting CP
- "El Barça B no aconsegueix imposar-se al Las Palmas (3–1)" [Barça B could not defeat Las Palmas (3–1)] (in Catalan). FC Barcelona. 14 January 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "Barcelona B midfielder Oriol Rosell signs with KC". Yahoo! Sports. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Oriol Rosell has arrived". Sporting Kansas City. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Sporting KC beats Toronto FC 2–1 on late goal". The Kansas City Star. 1 September 2012. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "MLS Match Recap: Philadelphia Union 1, Sporting Kansas City 3". Major League Soccer. 2 March 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Firchau, Nick (8 December 2013). "Sporting KC 1, Real Salt Lake 1, SKC win 7–6 on PKs". Major League Soccer. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Edward, James (5 April 2014). "Real Salt Lake: Backup Jeff Attinella saves RSL in 0-0 draw against Kansas City in MLS Cup rematch". Deseret News. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Austin, Kurt (11 May 2014). "Beyond the Box Score: Oriol Rosell's passing performance in class of its own". Sporting Kansas City. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "Sporting Kansas City agrees to transfer Oriol Rosell to Sporting CP in Lisbon, Portugal". Sporting Kansas City. 3 June 2014. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Vieira, Ricardo (16 August 2014). "Sporting empata no arranque da Liga" [Sporting draw to kickstart Liga] (in Portuguese). Rádio Renascença. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- Rocha, Paulo Jorge (14 January 2015). "Tanaka significa vitória em japonês" [Tanaka means victory in Japanese] (in Portuguese). SAPO. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- Piedade, Luis (31 May 2015). "Sporting dig deep to claim Portuguese Cup". UEFA.com. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Oriol Rosell chega por empréstimo do Sporting" [Oriol Rosell arrives on loan from Sporting] (in Portuguese). A Bola. 30 January 2016. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "Oriol Rosell, nuevo refuerzo del Belenenses" [Oriol Rosell, new reinforcement for Belenenses] (in Spanish). Be Soccer. 2 July 2016. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Lalas, Greg (24 December 2013). "Sporting KC's Oriol Rosell called up by Catalonia for friendly in Barcelona". Major League Soccer. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Sporting KC's Oriol Rosell makes international debut for Catalonia in friendly vs. Cape Verde". Major League Soccer. 30 December 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Catalonia – Cape Verde: Catalonia claim victory with eight FC Barcelona players (4–1)". FC Barcelona. 30 December 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Oriol Rosell: 'Diria que no a la selecció espanyola'" [Oriol Rosell: 'I would say no to the Spanish national team'] (in Catalan). Vilaweb. 24 December 2013. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "Oriol Rosell". Soccerway. Retrieved 14 March 2014.