Orion Metcalf Barber
|Associate Judge of the United States Court of Customs Appeals|
March 30, 1910 – September 30, 1928
|Appointed by||William Taft|
|Preceded by||Seat established|
|Succeeded by||Irvine Lenroot|
|Auditor of Vermont|
October 6, 1898 – October 3, 1902
|Preceded by||Franklin Hale|
|Succeeded by||Horace Graham|
July 13, 1857|
Jamaica, Vermont, U.S.
|Died||March 28, 1930
Bennington, Vermont, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Mab Barber (1868–1952)|
|Alma mater||Albany Law School|
Start of career
From 1906 to 1908 Barber was chairman of Vermont's Special Tax Commission. In 1909 he was chairman of the Special Commission to Prepare and Publish the Digest of Reports of the Vermont Supreme Court.
Nominated by President William Howard Taft to the U.S. Court of Customs Appeals, Barber received his commission on March 30, 1910. He retired from active service on September 30, 1928.
Retirement and death
On July 2, 1898 Barber married Alice Mabel "Mab" Norton (1868-1952) in Arlington, Vermont, and they were the parents of twin daughters. Lucia Pierce Barber (August 24, 1899 - September 30, 1984) was the wife of Clarence Edward Howard (April 16, 1881 - April 4, 1975). Mabel N. (August 24, 1899 – May 13, 1991) was the wife of United States Army officer Notley Young DuHamel (1895-1970).
- Genealogical and Family History of the State of Vermont, by Hiram Carleton, pages 391 to 293
- The Law Student's Helper, published by The Collector Publishing Co., Detroit, Volume 19, page 15
- Encyclopedia of Vermont Biography, edited by Prentiss Cutler Dodge, 1912, page 111
- Article, Republican nominees, The Vermonter magazine, July, 1900, pages 230 to 231
- 10,000 Famous Freemasons, by William R. Denslow, Harry S. Truman, Part One (A to J), 1957, page 56
- Biennial Report, by Vermont Railroad Commission, 1896, page 121
- Vermont Legislative Directory, published by Vermont Secretary of State, 1900, page 375
- Who's Who in New England, by Albert Nelson Marquis, Volume 1, 1909, page 68
- Report of the Commission on Taxation, published by the commission, 1908, page 4
- Biography of Orion M. Barber, published in Judges of the United States, by Bicentennial Committee, Judicial Conference of the United States, 1983
- Newspaper article, New Commerce Court Head, New York Times, March 10, 1910
- Newspaper article, Customs Court Ready, New York Times, June 6, 1910
- Official Congressional Directory, published by Joint Committee on Printing, 1921, page 387
- Official Congressional Directory, published by Joint Committee on Printing, 1922, page 397
- Newspaper article, Orion M. Barber Dies, New York Times, March 30, 2011
- Report of Proceedings of the Annual Meeting, published by Vermont Bar Association, 1930, page 72
- Vermont Death Records, 1909-2008, record for Orion Metcalf Barber
- Gravestone photos by contributor Mann, Orion Metcalf Barber page, Find A Grave.com web site, accessed November 27, 2011
|Auditor of Vermont
|New seat||Associate Judge of the United States Court of Customs and Patent Appeals