Play in Spectrum Stadium
in Orlando, Florida
|Alliance of American Football (2019–present)
|Team colors||Navy blue, dark orange & bright orange|
|President||Michael P. Waddell|
|General manager||Tim Ruskell|
|Head coach||Steve Spurrier|
|League championships (0)|
|Conference championships (0)|
|Division championships (0)|
The Orlando Apollos are a professional American football team based in Orlando, Florida, and are charter members of the Alliance of American Football, which began play in February 2019. The team plays its home games at Spectrum Stadium on the campus of the University of Central Florida. They are coached by Heisman Trophy winner and former college and National Football League (NFL) head coach Steve Spurrier. NFL front office veteran Tim Ruskell is the general manager and longtime college athletics executive Michael P. Waddell is the team president.
The team's name is inspired by the Greek god Apollo, and his and Florida's connections to the Sun, while the team's colors of orange and navy are tributes to Florida's sunshine and the Apollo program, respectively. The helmet depicts Apollo shooting a bow-and-arrow, as he is commonly pictured as an archer.
Apollos games are broadcast on iHeartRadio's Real Radio 104.1 FM with the Apollos’ weekly radio show heard Thursdays on WYGM and WJRR HD-2 channel, while a weekday program will be heard on a group of thirteen area radio stations. The Apollos also have a weekly TV show every Wednesday night at 11 p.m. on Cox's TV 27. The program, APOLLOS FOOTBALL with Steve Spurrier, will allow fans to get a deeper look at the team, with player features, behind-the-scenes access, and detailed analysis following each game.
On April 7, 2018, the first Alliance team, Orlando, was announced with its coach Steve Spurrier. On September 20, the league announced four eastern inaugural franchises' names and logos including Orlando as the Orlando Apollos. On December 4, 2018, the team and iHeart Media announced its broadcasting arrangements.
Orlando Apollos staff
The team's assigned area, which designates player rights, includes the following:
National Football League (NFL)
Canadian Football League (CFL)
Orlando Apollos roster
Rookies in italics
Roster updated February 11, 2019
- "Central Florida's newly named football team — the Orlando Apollos — is ready to blast off on a sun-filled, fun-filled journey". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved September 20, 2018.
- Lundine, Susan (December 4, 2018). "Orlando Apollos pro football team snags radio deal with iHeart Media". Orlando Business Journal. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Boyce, Christopher (8 February 2019). "Orlando Apollos season kicks off this weekend; WRDQ TV 27 to broadcast 4 games for 2019". WFTV.
- Steimle, Kevin; Breech, John (April 7, 2018). "Steve Spurrier announced as first coach and Orlando first host city for Alliance of American Football". CBSSports.com. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- "Orlando Apollos set final roster". Alliance of American Football. January 30, 2019. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "Alliance of American Football schedule released for Arizona Hotshots, other 7 teams". AZ Central. USA Today Network. October 16, 2018. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- Inabinett, Mark (July 12, 2018). "Alabama, Auburn players to go on Birmingham AAF team's assignment list". AL.com. Alabama Media Group. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
|This American football team article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a sports team in Florida is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|