Orlando B. Quevedo
|Cardinal, Archbishop of Cotabato|
|Installed||30 May 1998|
|Predecessor||Philip Francis Smith, O.M.I (†)|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of S. Maria "Regina Mundi" a Torre Spaccata|
|Ordination||June 5, 1964|
|Consecration||November 15, 1982
by Bruno Torpigliani
|Created Cardinal||February 22, 2014
by Pope Francis
11 March 1939 |
Laoag, Ilocos Norte, Commonwealth of the Philippines
|Motto||"Caritas congaudet veritati (Love rejoices in the truth)"|
|Coat of arms|
|Ordination history of Orlando Quevedo|
|Date of ordination||5 June 1964|
|Principal consecrator||Bruno Torpigliani|
|Co-consecrators||Philip Francis Smith, OMI
Federico O. Escaler, SJ
|Date of consecration||28 October 1980|
|Elevated by||Pope Francis|
|Date of elevation||22 February 2014|
|Jose Colin Mendoza Bagaforo||25 April 2006|
Orlando B. Quevedo
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Orlando Beltran Quevedo[pronunciation?] (born 11 March 1939) is a Filipino Cardinal and the current Archbishop of Cotabato. On January 12, 2014, Pope Francis named him as one of 19 new cardinals of the Catholic Church. He was created a cardinal in the consistory of February 22, 2014.
Orlando Beltran Quevedo was born on March 11, 1939, in Laoag, Ilocos Norte. Beginning in 1945, he attended grades 1 to 3 in Laoag Shamrock School, and finished grades 4 to 6 in Marbel Central Elementary School in Marbel, South Cotabato, graduating in 1950. He attended Notre Dame High School in Marbel from 1950 to 1954.
Quevedo studied at San José Seminary from 1954 to 1956, but spent his novitiate in St. Peter's Novitiate in Mission, Texas. He earned his degree in Philosophy from San José Seminary in 1960, and in 1964 received his S.T.B. and MA in Religious Education from Oblate College (Catholic University of America) in Washington, D.C.. He was ordained a priest of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate on June 5, 1964.
On January 12, 2014, Pope Francis named Quevedo as one of 19 men to be inducted into the College of Cardinals in the consistory of February 22, 2014, with the titular church of Santa Maria "Regina Mundi" a Torre Spaccata. He is the first cardinal from Mindanao and the second current Filipino cardinal-elector, along with Luis Antonio Tagle, Archbishop of Manila. Pope Francis named him member in Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace and Pontifical Council for Inter-religious Dialogue.
- "Most Rev. Orlando Beltran Quevedo, OMI, D.D.". Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Orlando Beltran Cardinal Quevedo, O.M.I.". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. 12 January 2014. Retrieved 3 February 2014.[self-published source]
- "Pope Francis Announces Names of New Cardinals". Vatican Radio. 12 January 2014. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "FIRST FROM MINDANAO: Cotabato Archbishop Orlando Quevedo among 16 new cardinals". News5. 12 January 2014. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- Esmaquel II, Paterno (16 January 2014). "New cardinal: 'Spokesman' from the poorest islands". Rappler. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- Orlando Quevedo
- CBCP Online (official profile)
- "Quevedo red hat boosts hope for local church" National Catholic Reporter, January 14, 2014
|Catholic Church titles|
Oscar V. Cruz
Federico Escaler, SJ
|Bishop of Kidapawan
23 July 1980 – 22 March 1986
Juan de Dios Mataflorida Pueblos
Jose Tomas Sanchez
|Archbishop of Nueva Segovia
22 March 1986 – 30 May 1998
Edmundo M. Abaya
|Archbishop of Cotabato
30 May 1998 – Present
|Cardinal-Priest of Santa Maria "Regina Mundi" a Torre Spaccata
February 22, 2014 – present