Centre of Ormož
|• Total||3,9 km2 (15 sq mi)|
|• Density||542/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+01)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+02)|
Ormož (pronounced [ˈoːɾmɔʃ]; Hungarian: Ormosd, German: Friedau, Prekmurje Slovene: Ormošd) is a town in the traditional region of Prlekija, part of Styria, in northeastern Slovenia. It lies on the left bank of the Drava River and borders with Croatia on the opposite bank of the river. It is the administrative centre of the Municipality of Ormož.
Ormož was attested in written records in 1273 as Holermůs (and as Holrmues in 1299 and Holrmůs in 1320). The name is based on the Latinized name Alramus, borrowed from Germanic Alram (< *Aþala-hraban, literally 'noble ravan'). The person designated by the name is uncertain, but a possible namesake is Salzburg Bishop A(da)lram (reigned 821–836) because the Ormož area became the property of the Archbishopric of Salzburg in the ninth century.
The parish church in the town is dedicated to Saint James. It was first mentioned in written sources dated to 1271. It was rebuilt on a number of occasions in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries. It contains frescos from the 14th and 17th centuries.
Notable natives and residents
- Ivan Geršak (1838–1911), notary public, president of several local societies, national awakener, politician, writer, and advocate of Slovene language
- Ruda Jurčec (1905–1975), writer, journalist, editor, clerical political activist
- Anton Krempl (1790–1844), historian, writer, poet
- Antun Vramec (1538–1587/8), historian, writer
- Countess Maria Irma Wurmbrand-Georgievich (1886-1970), last owner of Ormož Castle
- Baron Guido Georgievich
- "Ormož, Ormož". Place Names. Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Ormož municipal site
- Snoj, Marko. 2009. Etimološki slovar slovenskih zemljepisnih imen. Ljubljana: Modrijan and Založba ZRC, p. 292.
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage Archived July 12, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. reference number 3108
|This article about the Municipality of Ormož in Slovenia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|