September 5, 1962 |
||Israel Defense Forces|
|Years of service||1981–2014|
|Rank||Aluf (Major general)|
Orna Barbivai (Hebrew: אורנה ברביבאי; born September 5, 1962) is a retired Major General in the Israel Defense Forces and the former head of its Manpower Directorate. She was the first woman to be made Major-general (Aluf), the IDF's second highest rank.
Growing up in a family of eight children in Afula, Israel, Barbivai is the daughter of Tzila, a Jewish immigrant from Iraq, and Eli Shochetman, a Jewish immigrant from Romania. She was drafted into the IDF in 1981 and has spent her entire career as an officer in the Manpower Directorate. Barbivai holds a Bachelor's Degree in Social Sciences and Humanities from Ben Gurion University and a Master of Business Administration Degree from Haifa University. She is also the graduate of the "Turn-point" administration course for senior military officials.
Barbivai was the first female to hold the IDF positions of Chief Adjutant Officer of a Command, Chief Adjutant Officer, Head of the Ground Forces' manpower section and head of the Individuals' Sector in the Manpower Directorate.
On 26 May 2011, Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak approved her appointment as head of the IDF's Manpower Directorate, replacing Maj. Gen. Avi Zamir. The promotion of Barbivai, a mother of three, to the rank of Major General was praised by Israeli opposition leader Tzipi Livni who said that "there is no rank that is too heavy for a woman’s shoulders, and there is no doubt that Brig.-Gen. Barbivai was appointed because of her talents."
- "ראש אגף כוח אדם - אלופה אורנה ברביבאי" [Head of Manpower Directorate - Maj. Gen. Orna Barbivai] (in Hebrew). IDF Spokesperson's Unit. 18 May 2011. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- Greenberg, Hanan (26 May 2011). "IDF names first female major general". Yediot Ahronot.
- Katz, Yaakov (26 May 2011). "IDF makes history: First woman to be made major general". Jerusalem Post.
- "Brig. Gen. Orna Barbivay to be first woman major general in IDF" (Press release). Israel Defense Forces. 26 May 2011.
- Piotrkovsky, Shlomo (23 June 2011). "אורנה ברביבאי הועלתה לדרגת אלוף" [Orna Barbivai raised to Aluf rank] (in Hebrew). Arutz Sheva. Retrieved 14 August 2011.