|Genus:||Lua error in Module:Autotaxobox at line 331: attempt to call field 'italicizeTaxonName' (a nil value).|
|Global distribution (native + introduced) of Ornithogalum umbellatum|
Ornithogalum umbellatum, the garden star-of-Bethlehem, grass lily, nap-at-noon, or eleven-o'clock lady, is a perennial bulbous flowering plant, native throughout most of southern and central Europe, north-western Africa and south-western Asia. In North America, it has escaped its cultivation as a garden ornamental and can be found in many areas.
This plant is perennial with bulbs below ground; the bulb is 15–25 millimetres (0.6–1.0 in) long and 18–32 mm (0.7–1.3 in) in diameter. It has 6–10 leaves, linear with a white line on the upper surface, up to 30 centimetres (12 in) long and 8 mm (0.3 in) broad, and a scape of 10–30 cm (4–12 in). The flowers group in a corymbose raceme with 6–20 flowers, and are white with a green stripe outside.
Ornithogalum umbellatum requires considerable moisture during winter and spring, but can tolerate summer drought. It can be grown in a woodland garden as semi-shade is preferable. It is hardy to hardiness zone 5, and can become weedy. The plant is toxic. It is used in some herbal remedies.
- The Plant List: A Working List of All Plant Species, retrieved 1 October 2016
- "BSBI List 2007". Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Archived from the original (xls) on 2015-01-25. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- Euro+Med Plantbase: Ornithogalum umbellatum Archived 2007-09-28 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Ornithogalum umbellatum Linnaeus". Flora of North America.
- Flora of NW Europe: Ornithogalum umbellatum[permanent dead link]
- Blamey, M. & Grey-Wilson, C. (1989). Flora of Britain and Northern Europe. ISBN 0-340-40170-2.
- Huxley, A., ed. (1992). New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. Macmillan ISBN 0-333-47494-5.
- "Star-of-Bethlehem, snowdrop, nap-at-noon, Ornithogalum umbellatum (lily family)". Indiana Plants Poisonous to Livestock and Pets. Purdue University. Archived from the original on February 17, 2008. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Media related to Ornithogalum umbellatum at Wikimedia Commons
- Data related to Ornithogalum umbellatum at Wikispecies
Lua error in Module:Taxonbar at line 549: attempt to call field 'italicizeTaxonName' (a nil value).