|Motto: "The Lakeshore City"|
Location of Orono
within Hennepin County, Minnesota
|• Mayor||Lili McMillan |
|• Total||25.0 sq mi (64.8 km2)|
|• Land||16.1 sq mi (41.6 km2)|
|• Water||8.9 sq mi (23.2 km2)|
|Elevation||935 ft (296 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||7,720|
|• Density||468.9/sq mi (181.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||55300, 55391, 55399, 55356|
|GNIS feature ID||0648996|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 25.15 square miles (65.14 km2), of which 15.98 square miles (41.39 km2) is land and 9.17 square miles (23.75 km2) is water. U.S. Highway 12 serves as a main route.
|U.S. Decennial Census[permanent dead link]|
As of the census of 2010, there were 7,437 people, 2,826 households, and 2,155 families residing in the city. The population density was 465.4 inhabitants per square mile (179.7/km2). There were 3,209 housing units at an average density of 200.8 per square mile (77.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 96.5% White, 0.4% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.1% Asian, 0.6% from other races, and 1.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.7% of the population.
There were 2,826 households of which 35.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.7% were married couples living together, 5.5% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 23.7% were non-families. 18.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.02. As of the 2013 American Community Survey, the Orono median household and family incomes are $100,362 and $117,024, respectively. Less than 2.5% of all families are living at or below the poverty level.
The median age in the city was 45.7 years. 26.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 4.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 17.7% were from 25 to 44; 38.8% were from 45 to 64; and 12.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 51.2% male and 48.8% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,538 people, 2,766 households, and 2,196 families residing in the city. The population density was 468.9 people per square mile (181.0/km²). There were 2,909 housing units at an average density of 181.0 per square mile (69.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.73% White, 0.27% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.94% Asian, 0.24% from other races, and 0.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.86% of the population.
There were 2,766 households out of which 38.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.8% were married couples living together, 5.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.6% were non-families. 15.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.4% under the age of 18, 4.5% from 18 to 24, 26.7% from 25 to 44, 32.5% from 45 to 64, and 9.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 103.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $88,314, and the median income for a family was $101,114. Males had a median income of $61,913 versus $34,964 for females. The per capita income for the city was $65,825. About 0.5% of families and 1.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.0% of those under age 18 and 1.6% of those age 65 or over.
- Kevin Garnett - Professional basketball player for the Minnesota Timberwolves of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
- Bruce Dayton - Retail executive and philanthropist, former chairman and CEO of the Dayton Hudson Corporation (now the Target Corporation), founder of B. Dalton bookstores.
- Irwin L. Jacobs - Corporate raider and entrepreneur.
- Whitney MacMillan - Billionaire and former Chairman of the Board and CEO of Cargill.
- William W. McGuire - Former Chairman and CEO of UnitedHealth Group and current owner of the Minnesota United FC soccer team.
- Gregg Steinhafel - The former President, CEO, and Chairman of the Board of Target Corporation.
- "City of Orono Minnesota". City of Orono Minnesota. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- Facts - City of Orono, Minnesota
- "Profile for Orono, Minnesota, MN". ePodunk. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- Alonzo, Rick (2007-03-21). "Back to the starting point". St. Paul Pioneer Press. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- Miller, Stephen (2015-10-13). "Bruce Dayton, CEO of Retailer That Became Target, Dies at 97". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Orono, Minnesota.|
- City website
- Orono Police Department
- Orono Public Schools
- ePodunk: Profile for Orono, Minnesota