Orpheum Theatre (Los Angeles)
The Orpheum Theatre marquee
|Address||842 S. Broadway|
Los Angeles, California
|Owner||Anjac Fashion Buildings|
|Current use||concerts, movie premiers, location shoots|
|Opened||February 15, 1926|
|Architect||G. Albert Lansburgh|
Robert Brown Young
The fourth Orpheum Theatre on Broadway in Downtown Los Angeles opened on February 15, 1926, as the final Los Angeles venue for the Orpheum vaudeville circuit. After a $3 million renovation, started in 1989, it is the most restored of the historical movie palaces in the city.
The Orpheum has a Beaux Arts facade designed by movie theater architect G. Albert Lansburgh and has a Mighty Wurlitzer organ, installed in 1928, that is one of three pipe organs remaining in Southern California.
The Orpheum theatres are named for the Greek mythological figure, Orpheus.
Soon after it was opened, it was a popular venue for burlesque queen Sally Rand, the Marx Brothers, Will Rogers, Judy Garland (singing with her family as Frances "Baby" Gumm) and comedian Jack Benny, as well as jazz greats Lena Horne, Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington. Vaudeville acts were still playing the Orpheum as late as 1950.
In the 1960s, the theater held rock 'n' roll concerts featuring Little Richard, Aretha Franklin and Little Stevie Wonder. The restored Orpheum Theatre is now a venue for live concerts, movie premieres, and location shoots. The love metal band HIM played there for their live CD/DVD album Digital Versatile Doom. The 2010 Streamy Awards were live broadcast from the theater.
- American Idol
- America's Got Talent
- The Apprentice (season 5 finale)
- RuPaul's Drag Race (season 7, 8 and 11 finales)
- Hollywood (miniseries)
- Pretty Little Liars (season 4 finale and season 5 episode 1)
- Last Action Hero (1993)
- Why Do Fools Fall in Love (1998)
- A Mighty Wind (2003)
- Transformers (2007)
- Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007)
- In Search of a Midnight Kiss (2007)
- Hop (2011)
- Akon - “Lonely”
- Avril Lavigne - "I'm With You"
- The Backstreet Boys - "Shape of my heart"
- Kelly Rowland - "Can't Nobody"
- Guns N' Roses - "November Rain"
- Brandi Carlile - "The Story"
- Taylor Swift - "Mean"
- Broadway Theater District (Los Angeles)
- Million Dollar Theater
- Los Angeles Theatre
- Tower Theatre (Los Angeles)
- "Steve Needleman | Los Angeles Business Journal". Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- Geffner, David (January–February 2008), "Screen Gems", Westways, 100 (1): 62–65
- Lawson, Kristan, & Rufus, Anneli. California Babylon. New York: St. Martins Press (2000), p. 125.
- Alleman, Richard. Hollywood: The Movie Lover's Guide. Random House, Inc. (2005), p. 189.
- "Orpheum Theatre History". Archived from the original on 2008-02-09. Retrieved 2008-01-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Orpheum Theatre, Los Angeles.|