Orthodoxy by country
Orthodoxy (with capital O) in Christianity refers to two distinctive denominations known by the appellation "Orthodox," namely the Eastern Orthodox Church and Oriental Orthodoxy. Also, there are several other Christian communities that self-identify as Orthodox.
The various autocephalous and autonomous jurisdictions of the Eastern Orthodox Church are distinct in terms of administration and local culture, but are united in full communion with one another, hold the same beliefs, and also generally follow the same practices (the same rite). Some tensions exist in the philosophical differences between the New Calendarists and the Moderate Old Calendarists.
Oriental Orthodoxy also consists of several autocephalous and autonomous jurisdictions holding a single set of beliefs and united in full communion. However, they each have their own separate rites, and there are significant differences between their respective practices. Thus, there is more internal diversity of practice among the Oriental Orthodox than among the Eastern Orthodox.
- 1 Eastern Orthodoxy
- 2 Oriental Orthodoxy
- 3 Statistics
- 4 See also
- 5 References
Predominantly Eastern Orthodox Christian countries
The Eastern Orthodox Church is the largest single religious faith in:
Countries with a high percentage of Eastern Orthodox Christians include:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
Eastern Orthodox churches (jurisdictions) in full communion
- Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople
- Church of Alexandria
- Church of Antioch
- Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America
- Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Brazil
- Church of Jerusalem
- Russian Orthodox Church
- Serbian Orthodox Church
- Georgian Orthodox Church
- Romanian Orthodox Church
- Bulgarian Orthodox Church
- Church of Cyprus
- Church of Greece
- Albanian Orthodox Church
- Polish Orthodox Church
- Czech and Slovak Orthodox Church
- Orthodox Church in America
ethiopian Orthodox Church
Eastern Orthodox primates
The following table includes the current primates (head bishops) of the autocephalous jurisdictions of the Eastern Orthodox Church, with their respective titles and episcopal sees. A primate may hold the title of Patriarch, Metropolitan, or Archbishop.
Oriental Orthodoxy is the dominant religion in Armenia (94%), the ethnically Armenian Artsakh (98%), Ethiopia (44%, the total Christian population being 63%), and Eritrea (47%, the total Christian population being 54%).
Oriental Orthodoxy is especially the dominant religion in the two Ethiopian regions of Amhara (82%) and Tigray (95%), as well as the chartered city of Addis Ababa (75%). It is also important in Oromia Region (31%).
It is a significant minority religion in Egypt (10%), Sudan (5%, the total Christian population being 15%), Syria (3%, the total Christian population being 10%), Lebanon (2%, the total Christian population being 40%) and Kerala, India (1%, the total Christian population being 2.3%).
Predominantly Oriental Orthodox Christian countries
Oriental Orthodoxy is the largest single religious faith in:
Countries with a high percentage of Oriental Orthodox Christians include:
Oriental Orthodox churches in full communion
- The Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- The Armenian Apostolic Church
- The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church
- The Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church
- The Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch
- The Indian (Malankara) Orthodox Syrian Church
|Country||Christian Orthodox population||Orthodox percentage (%) of total population||Orthodox percentage (%) of World Orthodox population|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||1,440,000||31||0.49|
|Israel||To be determined||over 1|
|Macedonia, Republic of||1,330,000||64.80||0.48|
- Christianity by country
- List of Christian denominations by number of members
- Protestants by country
- Roman Catholicism by country
- РЕЛІГІЯ, ЦЕРКВА, СУСПІЛЬСТВО І ДЕРЖАВА: ДВА РОКИ ПІСЛЯ МАЙДАНУ (Religion, Church, Society and State: Two Years after Maidan), 2016 report by Razumkov Center in collaboration with the All-Ukrainian Council of Churches. pp. 27-29. Archived.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-16. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- Eastern Orthodox Church#Number of adherents
- "Pewforum: Christianity (2010)" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "Field Listing :: Religions". The World Factbook. CIA. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Price, Massoume (December 2002). "History of Christians and Christianity in Iran". Christianity in Iran. FarsiNet Inc. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- U.S. State Department (2009-10-26). "Iran – International Religious Freedom Report 2009". The Office of Electronic Information, Bureau of Public Affairs. Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- http://wciom.ru/index.php?id=268&uid=13365 VTSIOM
- http://www.pewforum.org/2011/12/19/global-christianity-exec/ Pew
- "Religions". Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 9 February 2013.