Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanikalum
|Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanikalum|
|Directed by||Chimbu Deven|
|Produced by||M K Tamilarasu|
|Written by||Chimbu Deven|
|Music by||Natarajan Sankaran|
|Cinematography||S. R. Kathir|
|Edited by||Raja Mohammed|
|4 April 2014|
1 Kanniyum 3 Kalavaanikalum (English: A virgin and 3 thieves) is a 2014 Tamil magical realism comedy film written and directed by Chimbu Deven, and starring Arulnithi, Bindu Madhavi, Ashrita Shetty, and Bagavathi Perumal. The music comprises three tracks composed by Sankaran Natarajan, while S R Kathir handles the camera. The film was shot in Chennai, in and around Saidapet, Anna Nagar, Besant Nagar and Royapuram. The theme of this film is inspired by Run Lola Run which Chimbudevan acknowledges in the end credits. The film earned mixed reviews and was an average grosser at the box office.
Tamil, Malar and Esakki are three friends who are planning to kidnap Isabella, Tamil's girlfriend, who is being forced by her rich father to marry against her wishes. Chakkaravarthy enters the scene as the main villain.After that
- Arulnithi as Tamil
- Bindu Madhavi as Malar
- Ashrita Shetty as Isabella
- Bagavathi Perumal as Ramanujam Esakki
- Nassar as Hippy Lahiri
- Jayaprakash as Subhash
- Manobala as Chettan
- Karthik Sabesh as Isaac
- Mohan V. Raman as Kundizhakesi
- Sriranjini as Ponnamma
- Aadukalam Naren as Narasimhan
- Scissor Manohar as Suddalai
- Crane Manohar as Vatti
- M. S. Bhaskar
- Delhi Ganesh
- V. S. Raghavan
- Ravi Raghavendra
- Abhyudaya Gupta as Dr. Navneet
- George as Michael Azhagusundaram
- Arun Bharadwaj as Chakravarthy
After the release of his previous directorial Irumbu Kottai Murattu Singam, Chimbudevan announced that his next film will be titled as Mareesan with Dhanush playing the lead role, but due to budget problems, the project got shelved. There were rumours that he would direct the sequel of his debut film Imsai Arasan 23m Pulikesi was also proved false.
Baradwaj Rangan wrote, "As much as we want to laud the ambition that results in something like Oru Kanniyum being attempted in Tamil, we also realise that these films are inherently compromised by Tamil-cinema considerations — the inevitability of the interval, the fear of things getting too serious, and the need to pad out the narrative to nearly two-and-a-half hours. The Times of India gave the film 3.5 stars out of 5 and wrote, "The first hour of OKMK is a terrific, nail-biting black comedy cum thriller. But, suddenly, the fizz goes away from the film as we are shown reiterations of the same set of circumstances playing out differently. And, for a film that is all about the value of time, the director takes a rather longer time to tell this story". Sify wrote, "Chimbudevan is imaginative and this film is sure to appeal to someone seeking a refreshing change. Chimbudevan’s script and Arulnithi’s cool performance is what makes the film work".
Rediff gave it 2.5 stars out of 5 and wrote, "Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanikalum is in Chimbu Deven’s trademark style, filled with quirky characters, fantastical elements, and loads of comedy and satire. The film is not your average run-of-the-mill romantic comedy and may not appeal to all, but the director does deserve credit for attempting a different concept". Behindwoods gave it also 2.5 stars out of 5 and wrote, "Nice concept, great detailing but lacks the enough laughs to keep you engaged". Indiaglitz wrote, "Be it the story or be it the concept, everything about the movie is a new idea. But what makes the film stand out is its screenplay and well conceived direction. Given that the skeleton story remains unaltered, it is natural that repetition may jar or bore. But this is where Chimbu Devan stamps his mark yet again, as all of the two and half hours is unique and entertaining".
The music is composed by Natarajan Sankaran of Moodar Koodam fame.
|Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanikalum|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Natarajan Sankaran chronology|
- July Madham - Naresh Iyer
- Moonu Kodi - Manikka Vinayagam, Chinnaponnu
- Bachelor Enakke - Gaana Bala, Premgi Amaren
- Theme Breeze
- Theme Marriage
- Theme Thunder
- Features, Express (30 July 2013). "'OKMK is contemporary romantic comedy'". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- "Chimbu Deven & Arulnithi come together". Sify. 21 July 2013. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- "Chimbudevan - Arulnithi flick's first look". The Times of India. TNN. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Gupta, Rinku (18 November 2013). "Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavanigalum: A romantic comedy". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Dhanush - Chimbudevan's 'Mareesan' - Tamil Movie News
- Reason for UTV dropping Dhanush's Mareesan - Dhanush- Chimbu Devan- Maareesan- Mareesan- Utv | Tamilcinema24.com |
- Pulikesi sequel postponed, Vadivelu, Imsai Arasan 23am Pulikesi 2
- Baradwaj Rangan (5 April 2014). "Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanikalum : Time passages". The Hindu. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanikalum movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Movie Review : Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanikalum". Sify.com. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Review: Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanikalum is interesting - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 7 April 2014. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanigalum (aka) Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanikalum review". Behindwoods.com. 4 April 2014. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavanigalum Tamil Movie Review - cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". Indiaglitz.com. 4 April 2014. Retrieved 15 April 2014.