Orvil Township, New Jersey
The township was created on January 1, 1886, from the western portion of Washington Township and the southern portion of Hohokus Township (now Mahwah). The township straddled both sides of the Saddle River, extending north to the New York state border and south to Ridgewood Township. The township was named for Orville James Victor, a journalist and author who lived in the area.
Boroughitis hit Orvil hard in 1894, with five new boroughs created from the nascent township. Montvale and Woodcliff (now Woodcliff Lake) were both formed on August 31, 1894. Allendale was incorporated on November 10, 1894, (referendum November 8, 1894) from portions of Orvil and from Franklin and Hohokus Townships. Saddle River was created by a referendum held on November 19, 1894 and incorporated on November 22, 1894. Upper Saddle River formed on November 22, 1894 (after a public referendum held on November 20, 1894) from area taken from both Orvil and Hohokus Townships.
On April 7, 1919, a council of citizens voted to incorporate as the borough of Waldwick from the remaining portions of Orvil Township. With the creation of the borough of Waldwick, Orvil Township was dissolved, after 33 years in existence.
- Snyder, John P. The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries: 1606-1968, Bureau of Geology and Topography; Trenton, New Jersey; 1969. p. 83. Accessed December 21, 2013.
- Clayton, W. Woodford; and Nelson, William. History of Bergen and Passaic Counties, New Jersey, with Biographical Sketches of Many of its Pioneers and Prominent Men., Philadelphia: Everts and Peck, 1882.
- Van Valen, James M. History of Bergen County, New Jersey. New York: New Jersey Publishing and Engraving Co., 1900.
- Westervelt, Frances A. (Frances Augusta), 1858-1942, History of Bergen County, New Jersey, 1630-1923, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1923.
- Municipal Incorporations of the State of New Jersey (according to Counties) prepared by the Division of Local Government, Department of the Treasury (New Jersey); December 1, 1958.
- Bergen County Townships and Municipalities
- Dutch Door Genealogy: Bergen County New Jersey Municipalities
|This New Jersey–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|