St Mary's Church
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Osbaldeston is a village and civil parish in Lancashire, England about 3+1⁄4 miles (5.2 km) north-west of Blackburn and 7 miles (11.3 km) east of Preston. The population of the civil parish as taken at the 2011 census was 185.
Osbaldeston is on the A59 road and lies on the south bank of the River Ribble opposite Ribchester. The parish has an area of 1,084 acres (1.7 sq mi), and the land rises from 70 ft above sea level, by the banks of the river, to 360 ft to the south-east. There is no Anglican place of worship, but the Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary (built in 1837–38) is at grid reference in Longsight Road and is Perpendicular in style. The hamlet of Osbaldeston Green lies due north of the village. There is record of a Roman Road in the area.
Osbaldeston Hall, which lies beside the Ribble, is a Grade II* listed building dating from about 1600, constructed with crucks. It is associated with the Catholic martyr Edward Osbaldeston. Oxendale Hall is a building of 1656, with a gabled façade. The hall has two stories, and most of the house has a Snecked masonry façade from a 1946 restoration. This was performed after a long period of time when many parts of the hall, which was used as a farmhouse, fell into dilapidation. Much of the inside of the house, including the 'banqueting hall', has visible timber framing.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Osbaldeston Parish (1170215121)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- "Osbaldeston, Ribble Valley". Ordnance Survey.
- 'Townships: Osbaldeston', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1911), pp. 319–325. British History Online accessed 31 July 2019
- Pevsner (1969), p. 185
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1969) The Buildings of England – North Lancashire, Harmondsworth: Penguin, ISBN 0-14-071037-X; p. 185
- Historic England. "Osbaldeston Hall, Osbaldeston (1072072)". National Heritage List for England.
Media related to Osbaldeston at Wikimedia Commons
- Osbaldeston page at GenUKI
- Historic England. "Church of St Mary (1072076)". National Heritage List for England.
- Historic England. "Osbaldeston Hall (1072072)". National Heritage List for England.
- Historic England. "Oxendale Hall (1072075)". National Heritage List for England.
- Historic England. "Barn at Oxendale Hall Farm (1317727)". National Heritage List for England.