|Oscar "Oca" S. Moreno|
|Mayor of Cagayan de Oro City|
June 30, 2013
|Preceded by||Vicente Y. Emano|
|Governor Of Misamis Oriental|
June 30, 2004 – June 30, 2013
|Preceded by||Miguel C. De Jesus|
|Succeeded by||Yevgeny "Bambi" Beja Emano|
|Member of the Philippine House of Representatives from Misamis Oriental's First District|
June 30, 1998 – June 30, 2004
|Preceded by||Homobono Cesar|
|Succeeded by||Danilo Lagbas|
February 28, 1951 |
Balingasag, Misamis Oriental
|Spouse(s)||Arlene Parado Pasion|
|Children||Sean Oliver, Imee Rose and Oscar Jr.|
Oscar "Oca" S. Moreno (born February 28, 1951) is a Filipino politician. He is the Mayor of Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental. Before he became the mayor, he was a Representative of the First District of Misamis Oriental from 1998 to 2004 in the 11th and 12th Congress and Provincial Governor of Misamis Oriental from 2004 to 2013.
In 1998, he joined public service and was elected as the Representative of the First District of Misamis Oriental. He was a member of the Prosecution Panel during the impeachment trial of President Joseph Ejercito Estrada.
During his congressional tenure, he authored and co-authored legislation on fiscal and financial reform, anti-money laundering, barangay micro-business enterprise as well as legislations in strengthening education, social services and environment protection in the countryside. Media organizations such as the Free Press Magazine, Reporter Magazine and the Asusasyon Ne Kumentarista at Anaunser ng Pilipinas had named him one of the Top Ten Outstanding Congressmen. He is also a recipient of the Ramon V. Mitra Award.
Governor of Misamis Oriental (2004–2013)
In 2004, he was elected Governor of the Province of Misamis Oriental and re-elected in the succeeding elections in 2007 and 2010.
His administration had primarily focused on a set of agenda that is people-centered and carefully designed to reinforce the continuing economic growth of the region. He had focused in
- Poverty alleviation programs - in order to improve the quality of life of the poor;
- Revenue generation - to enable the provincial government to deliver the services that the people needed;
- Infrastructure - in order to provide the necessary infrastructure support and spur economic growth;
- Misortel resuscitation – a rehabilitation program for the province-owned telephone company which had suffered financial breakdown due to mismanagement in the past administrations;
- Education/environment – to improve the quality of education in the province and programs that would protect the environment;
- Hospital services – to provide efficient and a responsive health care program;
- Agricultural productivity programs – to uplift the lives of the farmers and fisher-folks;
- Teamwork – a key principle in his administration that encourages collaboration among all levels of government, non-government organizations, people’s organizations and the private sector.
Under his administration, Misamis Oriental had been conferred twice with the Galing Pook Award for its strategic innovations in its hospital system and for transforming Lantad, a former no-mans land to a land of hope & fulfilment. The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) had also awarded the Provincial Government with the Gawad Pamana ng Lahi and the Seal of Good Housekeeping for good governance. Moreno's passion for sports had also catapulted him to key positions in the country’s major sports organizations such as the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas where he is now its chairman and as vice chairman of the Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines.
Mayor of Cagayan de Oro City (2013-)
The inauguration as Mayor of Cagayan de Oro City was held on June 30, 2013. The construction of hundreds of elementary and high school classrooms for the poor and the revival of the J.R. Borja Memorial City Hospital, including several free medical services for the less fortunate, are only some of the achievements within less than three years in service for the city.
He started as a trial attorney at the Philippine National Railways and later became the corporate legal counsel of major financial institutions in the country such as the Far East Bank and Trust Company, Ayala Investment and Development Corporation, Ayala International Finance Ltd. (Hong Kong), Bank of the Philippines Islands, Citibank, Ayala Life Assurance, Inc. and FGU Insurance Corporation. He then became Associate Director of the Strategic Planning Group of Ayala Corporation and Vice President and Chief Legal Counsel of BPI Capital Corporation.
He graduated at the Balingasag Central School and finished secondary education at Xavier University - Ateneo de Cagayan. He took up Bachelor of Arts at the University of Manila; finished his Bachelor of Laws degree at San Beda College. He took and passed the bar exams in 1975.
Among his international trainings include an Executive Program for Leaders in Development and Program on Budgeting and Financial Management in the Public Sector at the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University in Massachusetts, USA; International Workshop on Privatization, Regulatory Reform and Corporate Governance at Princeton University, New Jersey, USA; Program on Fiscal Decentralization and Local Government Financial Management at Duke University, North Carolina, USA. During his stint as Governor of Misamis Oriental, he took time to participate in the Mindanao Bridging Leaders Program at the Asian Institute of Management.
Moreno was born in Balingasag, Misamis Oriental to Dr. Emeterio A. Moreno Sr. and Milagros Roa Seriña, a retired public school teacher and music instructor. He is married to Arlene Parado Pasion from Laoag City and Dingras, Ilocos Norte with whom he has three children – Sean Oliver, Imee Rose and Oscar Jr.
- "COMELEC - Philippines Elections Results May 2013".
- "Search for boxing prospects continues with PLDT-Abap Mindanao meet (October 23, 2013)". SPIN.ph. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- Almo, Alder. "Next Gilas coach should have overseas experience – SBP (November 11, 2014)". www.philstar.com. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- The Official Website of the Province of Misamis Oriental
- League of the Provinces of the Philippines: Governor Profile
Homobono T. Cesar
|Representative, 1st District of Misamis Oriental
Danilo P. Lagbas
|Governor Of Misamis Oriental
Yevgeny "Bambi" Beja Emano
|Mayor Of Cagayan de Oro City