Oscar Marius Nierstrasz
|Born||October 15, 1957|
|Citizenship||Canada, Switzerland and Italy|
|Alma mater||University of Toronto|
|Institutions||University of Toronto, Université de Genève, University of Berne|
- programming languages and mechanisms to support the flexible composition of high-level, component-based abstractions, and
- tools and environments to support the understanding, analysis and transformation of software systems to more flexible, component-based designs.
He has led the Software Composition Group at the University of Bern since 1994 to date (December 2011).
CyberChair, an Online Submission and Reviewing System, is based on Oscar Nierstrasz's publication called Identify the champion, where he described the peer review process for contributions to scientific conferences using an organizational pattern language.
Nierstrasz co-authored several books such as Object-Oriented Reengineering Patterns and Pharo by Example. He was editor of the Journal of Object Technology from 2010 to 2013, succeeding the founding editor, Richard Wiener.
Nierstrasz won the Senior Dahl–Nygaard_Prize in 2013.
- Introduction to Oscar Nierstrasz as a keynote speaker at the European Software Engineering Conference (ESEC/FSE 2005): 
- Oscar Nierstrasz, Identify the Champion, In: Pattern Languages of Program Design 4, N. Harrison, B. Foote, H. Rohnert (Ed.), vol. 4, Addison Wesley, 2000, pp. 539-556, http://scg.unibe.ch/download/champion/
- Richard R. van de Stadt, CyberChair - An Online Submission and Reviewing System, or: A Program Chair's Best Friend
- Serge Demeyer, Stéphane Ducasse, and Oscar Nierstrasz. Object-Oriented Reengineering Patterns, Square Bracket Associates, 2008, 
- Andrew Black, Stéphane Ducasse, Oscar Nierstrasz, Damien Pollet, Damien Cassou, and Marcus Denker. Pharo by Example, Square Bracket Associates, 2009.
- Wiener, Richard (May 2010), "Farewell editorial", Journal of Object Technology, 9 (3): 5, doi:10.5381/jot.2010.9.3.e1
- Nierstrasz, Oscar (January 2013), "Farewell editorial", Journal of Object Technology, 12 (1), doi:10.5381/jot.2013.12.1.e1