Osceola Mills, Pennsylvania
|Osceola Mills, Pennsylvania|
The Masonic lodge and post office in Osceola Mills
Location in Clearfield County
Location in the state of Pennsylvania
|• Type||Borough Council|
|• Total||0.33 sq mi (0.85 km2)|
|• Land||0.33 sq mi (0.85 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,525 ft (465 m)|
|• Density||3,460/sq mi (1,335.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Pennsylvania Route 53 passes through Osceola Mills, leading northeast 4 miles (6 km) to Philipsburg and southwest 5 miles (8 km) to Houtzdale. Pennsylvania Route 970 crosses PA 53 in the center of town and leads northwest 20 miles (32 km) to Clearfield, the county seat, and southeast 4 miles (6 km) to Sandy Ridge.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,249 people, 522 households, and 342 families residing in the borough. The population density was 3,717.8 people per square mile (1,418.4/km²). There were 581 housing units at an average density of 1,729.4 per square mile (659.8/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 99.44% White, 0.16% Native American, 0.16% Asian, and 0.24% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.72% of the population.
There were 522 households, out of which 27.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.9% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.3% were non-families. 30.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 15.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the borough the population was spread out, with 22.5% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 29.5% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 18.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 100.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.7 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $29,891, and the median income for a family was $32,727. Males had a median income of $30,208 versus $21,000 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $14,932. About 6.3% of families and 9.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.1% of those under age 18 and 6.7% of those age 65 or over.
4th of July celebration
Osceola Mills is known for its annual Fourth of July Carnival, a week-long celebration sponsored by the Columbia Volunteer Fire Company. The parade and fireworks display on July 4 draws thousands of people from surrounding communities.
Osceola Mills maintains a recreation park with baseball fields, basketball and tennis courts, and a swimming pool. The borough is also served by five churches, six bars, and a public library. The Osceola Mills Elementary School is part of the Philipsburg-Osceola Area School District. Osceola Mills is now the home of semi-pro football team the Moshannon Valley Vikings. They play at the baseball complex and are a member of the GEFA.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Osceola Mills borough, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.