This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2019)
W: Independence Avenue
SW: Castle Road/Sir Emmanuel Charles Quist Street
N/NE: Ring Road East
S: Gulf of Guinea
|Governing body||Korley Klottey Municipal Assembly|
Located about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) east of the central business district, Osu is a neighborhood in central Accra, Ghana; it's known for its vibrant commercial, restaurant and nightlife activity. It is locally known as the "West End" of Accra. Bounded to the south by the Gulf of Guinea, Osu's western boundary is the Independence Avenue. Ring Road separates Osu from the northern district of Labone.
Owing to its establishment as a settlement around the Danish fort of Christiansborg in the 17th century, Osu offers a mix of houses dating from the early 20th century (both low-rise apartment blocks and detached houses) to modern office towers. Ringway Estates, a gated residential community between Gamel Abdul Nasser Avenue and Cantonments Road is located in the western section of Osu.
The main thoroughfare, Cantonments Road (colloquially known as Oxford Street) features large supermarkets and appliance shops, and is renowned for its food joints and lively nightlife. At its southern end is the site of the 17th-century Fort Christiansborg, a former Danish colonial fort, which formerly housed the seat of government, and relocated to The Flagstaff House near the 37 Military Hospital after it was reconstructed by former president, John Kufuor.
Landmarks/places of interest
- Accra International Conference Center
- Accra Ridge Church
- Accra Sports Stadium
- Black Star Square
- Ebenezer Presbyterian Church, Osu
- Independence Arch
- Osu Castle or Fort Christiansborg
- Parliament House of Ghana
- Ridge Church School
- Ridge Hospital
- "Osu Oxford Street". www.travel-to-discover-ghana.com. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- Osu Oxford Street Archived 2015-02-05 at the Wayback Machine. traveltodiscoverghana.com.
- Accra Medium Area: Labone/Osu (Christianborg) Archived 2011-08-11 at the Wayback Machine. accra.wantedinafrica.com.
- "Contact us Archived 2012-08-27 at the Wayback Machine." Starbow. Retrieved on 6 May 2013. "832 First Street Adjacent to the Salvation Army Territorial Headquarters Osu, Accra"
- Media related to Osu, Accra at Wikimedia Commons