Osvald Helmuth in 1919
14 July 1894|
|Died||18 March 1966(aged 71)|
Life and career
In 1936 he appeared in his first film, Cirkusrevyen, a musical comedy in which he displayed his singing talents, directred by acclaimed directors Lau Lauritzen, Jr. and Alice O'Fredericks. This paved the way for a successful film career in the 1930s and 1940s, successively appeareing in leading roles in musical comedies directed by these people such as Der var engang en vicevært (1937), En fuldendt gentleman (1937) but also thrillers such as Blaavand melder storm (1938). After the family film Familien Olsen in 1940, Helmuth ended his duel partnership with Lauritzen Jr. and Fredericks and in 1941 played the leading role in Emanuel Gregers's En mand af betydning in which he starred alongside Inger Stender and Sigrid Horne-Rasmussen . Helmuth did however reconcile with Fredericks in 1947 in the comedy Stjerneskud, co-directed with Jon Iversen.
Of his more serious roles are in Jeppe in Jeppe på bjerget, performed at the Det kongelige Teater in 1954, and Doolittle in My Fair Lady in 1960. On 21 March 1954 Osvald Helmuth appeared on Broadway in New York City with Victor Borge. Together with Poul Reumert he also sang a selection of "Gluntarne" duets.
He was award a Knight of the Dannebrog in 1953 and during his 50-year anniversary in 1963, he was elevated to Knight of the 1st Degree.
Helmuth's last film appearance was shortly before his death in Henning Carlsen's Hunger, based upon the novel Hunger by Norwegian Nobel Prize-winning author Knut Hamsun. The film was nominated for the Palme D'Or and won the Bodil Award for Best Danish Film in 1967 and other awards for the cast after his death.
- Operabranden - 1912
- Det evige Had - 1915
- I Storm og Stille - 1915
- Hævnens Nat - 1916
- Hendes Mands Forlovede - 1919
- De Nygifte - 1920
- Silkesstrumpan - 1921
- Tyvepak - 1921
- Ungkarleliv - 1921
- Cirkusrevyen - Hen te' kommoden - 1936
- Der var engang en vicevært - 1937
- En fuldendt gentleman - 1937
- Cocktail - 1937
- Den mandlige husassistent - 1938
- Blaavand melder storm - 1938
- Familien Olsen - 1940
- En mand af betydning - 1941
- Ebberød Bank - 1943
- Op med humøret - 1943
- Stjerneskud - 1947
- Berlingske Tidende (film) - 1949
- Som sendt fra himlen - 1951
- Vores fjerde far - 1951
- Den kloge mand (1956) - 1956
- Pigen i søgelyset - 1959
- En by ved navn København - 1960
- Den hvide hingst - 1961
- Harry og kammertjeneren - 1961
- Jensen længe leve - 1965
- Hunger - 1966
- Danske Film (Danish)
- "NY Times: A City Called Copenhagen". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-01-27.
- "The Boy Who Loved Horses". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-01-27.
- Monty, Ib Sult (Hunger), International Dictionary of Film and Filmmakers, 2000
- "Osvald Helmuth, 71, A Danish Comedian". The New York Times. March 19, 1966. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- John Lindskog, Faders vilje - Osvald, Søster og Frits Helmut - dramaet bag scenen, Aschehoug, 2006. ISBN 87-11-30017-5.
- Sven Borre, Bogen om Osvald, Stig Vendelkjærs Forlag, 1967.
- Osvald Helmuth, Lev stærkt - dø gammel, Stig Vendelkær, 1963. (Erindringer)