Boris Johnson was one of his students when he was reading Classics at Balliol College. He describes Johnson as "a buffoon and an idler". In 2018, when Johnson became prime minister, Murray sent his former student, in the ancient tradition, a renuntiatio amicitiae, a public revocation of their friendship.
- Sympotica: A symposium on the symposion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. (Ed.) ISBN 0198150040
- Early Greece. Harvard University Press, 1993 (2nd edition). ISBN 067422132X
- "Oswyn Murray: Biography (NOT a good reference - independent refs are required)". Retrieved 13 October 2019.
- The end of an era. Balliol College, University of Oxford, 2004. Retrieved 13 May 2012. Archived here.
- Higgins, Charlotte (2019-10-06). "Boris Johnson's love of classics is about just one thing: himself | Charlotte Higgins". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-10-11.