Otay Ranch Town Center
|Location||Chula Vista, California|
|Opening date||October 27, 2006|
|Developer||General Growth Properties|
|Management||Brookfield Properties Retail Group|
|Owner||Brookfield Properties Retail Group|
|No. of stores and services||103|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||654,646 square feet (60,818.6 m2)|
Otay Ranch Town Center is an open-air shopping mall/lifestyle center in the Otay Ranch area of Chula Vista, California, just south of San Diego. Owned and operated by Brookfield Properties with Anchor stores like AMC Theatres, Barnes & Noble, Planet Fitness, and Macy's.
Otay Ranch Town Center opened on October 27, 2006 with anchors, Borders Books & Music, Gottschalks, REI, and AMC theaters. There is also a power center east of the mall with big box retailers like Best Buy and Ulta Beauty and a few restaurants.
The Mall had originally been planned to be a high-end mall attracting additional anchors like Nordstrom. However, due to the 2008 economic crisis those plans had been scrapped, and the site is now a soccer field.
In 2007 Borders Books & Music had moved to (nearby competing mall) Westfield Plaza Bonita and was replaced with Barnes & Noble. In 2009, Gottschalks liquidated their chain of department stores and the Otay Ranch location was replaced with Macy’s.
From 2010 and beyond many of the national chain stores like Gap, Anthropologie, Justice, Banana Republic and more had shuttered. As more stores closed, Chula Vista Library opened a branch in the food pavilion in 2012 replacing the vacant Geppettos and three eateries to attract more foot traffic at the center and in 2020 the lease of the Library Branch had been extended to 2023. Also, around 2012 Party City and Designer Shoe Warehouse opened stores at the east end of the mall.
In 2017, Recreational Equipment, Inc. did not renew their lease and shuttered their location, and in 2018 Planet Fitness took their place. In 2018 and 2019 new eateries opened in the south parking lot including Panera and Jack in the Box. In 2019, MTS had a Rapid Bus Route 225 stop built for Otay Ranch Town Center. This new bus route also brought with it a new bridge over SR 125, which meant that residents of the Santa Venetia area could have direct access to the town center. In 2020 a Barons Market opened in the former DSW location after they had relocated to the former Gap location. Wetzel's Pretzels is coming soon.
- The mall hosts a farmer's market every Tuesday afternoon
- Dog park
- Pet-friendly shopping center
- Family-friendly shopping center, with water fountains for children and artificial grass area
- Has an annual tree lighting with Christmas entertainment
- "Otay Ranch Town Center". Brookfield Properties Retail Group.
- "General Growth Properties Opens Otay Ranch Town Center" (Press release). Business Wire. October 27, 2006.
- Sampite-Montecalvo, Allison (February 8, 2017). "Otay Ranch Town Center sees store closures in 2017". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Acevedo, Laura (October 16, 2018). "New businesses coming to Chula Vista's Otay Ranch Town Center". KGTV.