|Created by||Paul Feig|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||8 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||25–27 minutes|
|Original network||Yahoo! Screen|
|Original release||April 14, 2015|
Other Space is an American science fiction comedy television series. It debuted on Yahoo! Screen on April 14, 2015. It follows a young and inexperienced crew as they venture into an unknown universe to face mysterious clouds, food and fuel shortages, robot rebellions, folds in time, and the occasional alien attack. The show has been described as "Red Dwarf USA, take two".
Other Space has been described as "a journey in unknown space set in the early 22nd century, when the human race has mapped most of the known universe, failed to find alien life, and frankly gotten a little tired of the whole thing."
Cast and characters
- Karan Soni as Stewart Lipinski
- Bess Rous as Karen Lipinski
- Eugene Cordero as Michael Newman
- Milana Vayntrub as Tina Shukshin
- Neil Casey as Kent Woolworth
- Joel Hodgson as Zalien Fletcher
- Conor Leslie as Natasha
- Trace Beaulieu as the voice of A.R.T.
- Jessica Chaffin as General Hayson ("Into the Great Beyond...Beyond")
- Mo Collins as Helen Woolworth ("Into the Great Beyond...Beyond")
- John Milhiser as the voice of Coffee Bot ("Trouble's Brewing")
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Release date|
|1||"Into the Great Beyond...Beyond"||Luke Matheny||Paul Feig||April 14, 2015|
|Stewart is assigned captain of the UMP Cruiser, much to Karen's displeasure. The crew gets stranded in another universe at the beginning of their first mission.|
|2||"Getting to Know You"||Lucia Aniello||Owen Ellickson||April 14, 2015|
|Stewart and Karen fight over how to help the crew deal with their stranding and likely death. Meanwhile, suspicions arise that one of the crew members may be an alien.|
|3||"The Death of A.R.T."||Lucia Aniello||Jacob Young||April 14, 2015|
|Karen sends A.R.T. out onto the hull of the ship to fix a problem he caused, and becomes guilt-ridden when her attempt to retrieve him results in A.R.T. being flung into space. Meanwhile, Stewart, Tina, and Kent attempt to make a video message to introduce themselves to any nearby aliens.|
|4||"Ted Talks"||Robert Cohen||Karen Kilgariff||April 14, 2015|
|Tina receives a delayed break-up message from her boyfriend, Ted, and becomes too distraught to properly operate the machinery needed to retrieve the ship's fuel (which is now consolidated near the surface of a nearby planet after the events of "The Death of A.R.T.".) Karen, Mike, and Natasha attempt to throw Tina a "girl's night" to cheer her up. Meanwhile, Stewart tries to find a way for the crew to survive if the fuel retrieval fails, and Zalien and A.R.T. goof off watching the newly discovered hidden cameras on the ship.|
|5||"Trouble's Brewing"||Adam Nix & Evan Nix||Ben Smith||April 14, 2015|
|Natasha is denied free will, Kent is denied access to the 3-D printer, and A.R.T. is denied bathroom privileges, and so the three decide to stage a robot uprising. Meanwhile, Tina and Mike are sent down to the newly formed planet to retrieve fuel, only to find that eight months will pass on the planet while only six hours pass on the Cruiser.|
|6||"Powerless"||Matt Sohn||Shelby Fero||April 14, 2015|
|The Cruiser is stuck in a space storm which messes with its electronics and will attract lightning to the ship if it uses too much power. Zalien teaches Stewart to fly the ship manually. Karen attempts to convince Mike, Tina, and A.R.T. to keep their energy consumption down. Natasha's mental age regresses to infancy and Kent tries to teach her adult skills as she slowly makes her way through prepubescence and adolescence. Kent confesses that he's in love with Natasha.|
|7||"First Contact"||Matt Sohn||Matteo Borghese & Rob Turbovsky||April 14, 2015|
|Stewart uses a dangerous drug to make his dreams more erotic when he becomes convinced an alien is contacting him through sexual dreams. Tina puts Karen on trial for slapping Mike.|
|8||"Finale"||Matt Sohn||Owen Ellickson||April 14, 2015|
|Physical contact is made with the alien and a trip home seems closer than ever, much to Stewart's respective excitement and disappointment. When it turns out Natasha's mind will be erased when the Cruiser returns to Earth, Tina attempts to help Natasha and Kent have the perfect awkward first date.|
The first season has received positive reviews from critics. On Metacritic, it has a score of 66 out of 100 based on 6 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews". On Rotten Tomatoes, the show currently holds a 91% approval rating from critics with an average rating of 6.3 out of 10.
Episodes are available to stream via Yahoo! TV in the U.S., following the shuttering of Yahoo! Screen in 2016. It is expected that the show will become available in further territories in the following months.
In April 2015, creator Paul Feig stated that the future of the show is "up in the air" and that a second season has yet to be ordered by the network. Feig confirmed that he was still waiting for a decision from Yahoo! in September 2015.
On October 21, 2015, Yahoo CFO Ken Goldman announced during a Q3 Earnings Phone Call that their original programming lineup last spring resulted in a $42 million writeoff, including Community Season 6 and Sin City Saints.
On January 6, 2016, Feig suggested there may be more episodes of Other Space  despite Yahoo! Screen cancelling their service in 2016 due to low viewership and financial writeoffs. Season 1 of Other Space remains available for viewing in the TV section of Yahoo's website.
On February 21, 2016, Paul Feig posted on his Twitter account: "Desist in losing hope. It will be back if I have to shoot it on my iPhone. But it won't come to that. Hang tough." after the future of the series was called into question when Yahoo! Screen was shut down in late 2015.
- Bricken, Rob (April 6, 2015). "Other Space Is Basically Red Dwarf USA, Take Two". io9.com. Retrieved April 21, 2016.
- Wallenstein, Andrew (October 14, 2014). "'Mystery Science Theater 3000' Stars Reunite in Cast of Yahoo Series 'Other Space' (Exclusive)". Variety. Retrieved January 7, 2018.
- "Other Space : Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Other Space: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "How to Watch Other Space". Tumblr. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- Lloyd, Robert (April 21, 2015). "Q&A: Paul Feig on 'Other Space' and the comedy of close quarters". LATimes.com. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- Feig, Paul (September 9, 2015). ".@lisamcguire1 @OtherSpace We're dying to make another season. Waiting on @YahooScreen to decide. #IMDBAskPaulFeig". Twitter.com. Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- Brouwer, Bree (October 21, 2015). "Yahoo Lost $42 Million On 'Community' and Two Other Originals". TubeFilter. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- Feig, Paul (January 6, 2016). "Don't Count Other Space Out Yet". Twitter.com. Retrieved February 10, 2016.
- Feig, Paul (February 20, 2016). "Paul Feig Determined to Make Season Two of Cancelled Show". Twitter.com. Retrieved January 25, 2018.