Other Voices (Doors album)
|Studio album by|
|Released||October 18, 1971|
|Recorded||June–August 1971 using a professional 8-track machine|
|the Doors chronology|
|Singles from Other Voices|
|Christgau's Record Guide||C+|
|Record Collector|| |
(combined score for Other Voices
and Full Circle)
Other Voices is the seventh studio album by the Doors, released by Elektra Records in October 1971. It was the first album released by the band following the death of the lead singer Jim Morrison in July 1971 with keyboardist Ray Manzarek and guitarist Robby Krieger sharing lead vocals. Tracks for the album had begun before Morrison's death and the band hoped that Morrison would return from Paris to finish them.
The album was not released on CD until October 23, 2006, by the Timeless Holland label, along with the final Doors album, Full Circle. For years the Doors largely disregarded the last two studio albums that were recorded without Morrison, and had no plans of reissuing the albums on CD. At the time, the Doors stated that they were not in possession of the master tapes, but remastered material from both the albums has appeared on various compilations, most notably the 1997 Box Set and the 2000 compilation The Best of the Doors. On September 27, 2011, The Doors finally gave Other Voices (along with Full Circle) its first official reissue, though made available only via digital download at sites such as the iTunes Store, Amazon.com and eMusic. The original master tapes were confirmed to have been used in these reissues. On May 29, 2015 it was announced that Other Voices would be re-released on CD and 180-gram vinyl.
While Other Voices inside gatefold cover states "All songs written by Krieger, Densmore, Manzarek", a lyric sheet was included with early LP editions of the album that listed individual writing credits, and some early versions of the LP include these credits on the LP record labels as well. These individual credits are listed below.
|1.||"In the Eye of the Sun"||Ray Manzarek||Manzarek||4:48|
|2.||"Variety Is the Spice of Life"||Robby Krieger||Krieger||2:50|
|3.||"Ships w/ Sails"||Krieger, John Densmore||Manzarek||7:38|
|4.||"Tightrope Ride"||Manzarek, Krieger||Manzarek||4:15|
|5.||"Down on the Farm"||Krieger||Krieger||4:15|
|6.||"I'm Horny, I'm Stoned"||Krieger||Krieger||3:55|
|8.||"Hang On to Your Life"||Manzarek, Krieger||Manzarek||5:36|
- Jack Conrad – bass on "In the Eye of the Sun", "Variety Is the Spice of Life" and "Tightrope Ride"
- Jerry Scheff – bass on "Down On The Farm", "I'm Horny, I'm Stoned" and "Wandering Musician"
- Wolfgang Melz – bass on "Hang on to Your Life"
- Ray Neapolitan – bass on "Ships w/ Sails"
- Willie Ruff – acoustic bass on "Ships w/ Sails"
- Francisco Aguabella – percussion on "Ships w/ Sails" and "Hang on to Your Life"
- Emil Richards – marimba on "Down on the Farm"
- The Doors - producers
- Bruce Botnick - producer, engineer
- Ron Raffaelli – Cover photo
Billboard (North America)
B-side: "Variety is the Spice of Life"
|The Billboard Hot 100||71|
|1971||"Ships with Sails"
B-side: "In the Eye of the Sun"
|Pop Singles||Did not chart|
- Lindsay Planer. "Other Voices". AllMusic. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "Consumer Guide '70s: D". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 089919026X. Retrieved February 24, 2019 – via robertchristgau.com.
- Barton, Geoff (August 2015). "The Doors Full Circle / Other Voices". Classic Rock. p. 105.
- Schonbeck, Carl (February 13, 2012). "The Doors: Other Voices and Full Circle". PopMatters. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Bell, Max (September 2015). "The Doors – Other Voices/Full Circle". Record Collector. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- Davis, Robert (June 15, 2014). "The Doors – Other Voices (album review)". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- "Other Voices Album Review, Songs, Ratings". Starpulse.com. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- http://www.thefreedomman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3896&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= OV/FC Master Tape Discussion
- "The Doors' Two Post-Jim Morrison Albums Set for Reissue". Rolling Stone.
- Whitburn, Joel. The Billboard Hot 100 Annual 1955–2005. Menomonee Falls: Record Research, 2006.