Oththa Seruppu Size 7
|Oththa Seruppu Size 7|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||R. Parthiepan|
|Produced by||R. Parthiepan|
|Written by||R. Parthiepan|
|Edited by||R. Sudharsan|
Oththa Seruppu Size 7 (transl. Single Slipper Size 7) is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language thriller film produced, written and directed by R. Parthiepan. The film stars Parthiepan himself as the only character. Background score for the film is composed by C. Sathya while one soundtrack is composed by Santhosh Narayanan. The film is produced by Parthiepan under his production banner Bioscope Film Framers.
The film entered the Asia Book of Records and India Book of Records for having a single person writing, directing, solo acting and producing a film. The film was premiered at the Singapore South Asian Film Festival on 30 August 2019. The film released worldwide on 20 September 2019, receiving positive reviews from critics.
Masilamani (R. Parthiepan) is a suspect in a murder case and cops take him in custody for investigation. The movie starts with a middle aged Masilamani (Parthiban) being interrogated by police personnel in a police station. The audience get to hear only the voices of everyone else other than Masilamani. The deputy commissioner is leading the interrogation. Though some other cops in the unit suggest that they better use the typical police interrogation technique (which uses force and human right violation techniques), the deputy commissioner refuses saying that there is already a letter from human rights commission that they will be watching over this investigation. At some point it becomes clear that Masilamani has a kid who needs medication and even with medication Masilamani's son is expected to live only for few more years. Masilamani outwits the cops during the interrogation and hence a lady psychologist is brought in to help solve the case. It is revealed that Masilamani wife is dead and her body is presently held at the mortuary. Eventually Masilamani starts to confess to not only the one murder he was accused of, but also to two more murders; all three of which happened using the same Modus Operandi (MO). Masilamani during his confession states that he got married to a very good-looking girl named Usha. They have a kid who is suffering from a terminal disease. His wife started to having affairs. When Masilamani confronted his wife about the affair, she regrets her affair and says that she did it for the money to pay for their son's medical expense. Masilamani though dejected, agrees to live with his wife, provided she changes her way of life. She also blames the men in her affair for forcing her to sleep with them because they have a video of her taking bath and are blackmailimg her with her nude video. Masilamani realizing that he wont be able to legally fight these powerful men, decides to murder them using a particular MO, which includes leaving a "single slipper of size 7" next to the dead bodies. Usha accidently finds the other pair of the "single slipper of size 7" and figures out that Masilamani is involved in the serial killing of the men who she had affairs with. In a panic mode, Usha arranges henchmen to murder Masilamani. It is also revealed that Usha had affairs not because of blackmail but rather slept with those men willingly. But due to quirk of fate, Usha gets killed in a road accident while Masilamani escapes the hired henchman. Masilamani continues his revenge plot and kills the rest of the men who had an affair with his wife. He always leaves a "single slipper of size 7" next to all the murders. It is revealed that many years back the current head of police personnel helped a powerful minister to get away with murdering his own brother and in the process accidently left a "single slipper of size 7" next to his dead brother's body. Masilamani knew of the murder and the modus operandi of the murder and even had proof of the murder. Now that Masilamani has committed these three murder in the same MO. he makes veiled threat that he will reveal the proof of the scandal if he is not released of his crime. He even states that the same MO in all the crimes will suggest that the one who murdered the minister's brother will be the prime suspect in all the subsequent murders. Because a powerful minister and a cop were involved in a murder and the subsequent cover-up, the cops decide to let go of Masilamani for the fear of all truths coming out. The movie ends with Masilamani walking out of the police station, with his son, making peace with his wife's death.
The background score is composed by C. Sathya. The film features one song "Kulirudha Pulla" which is composed by Santhosh Narayanan, which was released on 19 May 2019. The song has lyrics written by Vivek, and it was sung by Sid Sriram, Sangeetha Karuppiah and R. Parthiepan.
|1.||"Kulirudha Pulla"||Vivek||Sid Sriram, Sangeetha Karuppiah, R. Parthiepan||4:58|
The first look was released on 8 May 2019, and the making video of the film was released on 9 May 2019. The official trailer of the film was unveiled on 27 May 2019.
Chennai Vision reviewing it noted, "Oththa Seruppu Size 7 is a rare attempt in Indian cinema. For, the film is written, directed, acted and produced by only one man-R Parthiepan.".
- Agatheeswaran (16 August 2019). "Ottha Seruppu 7 Tamil Movie (2019) | Cast | Teaser | Trailer | Release Date". News Bugz. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Parthiban's Otha Seruppu official making video". Behindwoods. 9 May 2019. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Bureau, N. T. (20 May 2019). "Parthiban's next film is a solo act". News Today | First with the news. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "R.Parthiban Oththa Seruppu Size 7 to be screened at SAIFF". moviegalleri.net. 31 August 2019. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "'Oththa Seruppu Size 7' gets Parthiban into two record books". News Today | First with the news. 24 August 2019. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Parthiban's Oththa Seruppu enters the record books – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Subramanian, Anupama (24 August 2019). "Parthiban's OSS 7 enters Asia, India record books". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Oththa Seruppu trailer: Parthiban promises an intriguing psychological drama". The Indian Express. 27 May 2019. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Bureau, N. T. (6 August 2019). "Parthiban's 'Oththa Seruppu Size 7' all set for international premiere". News Today | First with the news. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Dinamalar (6 August 2019). "சிங்கப்பூர் சர்வதேச திரைப்பட விழாவில் ஒத்த செருப்பு | Otha Seruppu to screen in Singapore film festival". தினமலர் – சினிமா (in Tamil). Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Oththa Seruppu Size 7 and House Owner make it to Indian Panorama 2019". The Times of India. 6 October 2019. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- "Home Shop 2019, Competition, Screening Oththa Seruppu Size 7". SgSAIFF. Retrieved 18 September 2019.
- "NT Bureau, Author at News Today | First with the news".
- "Otha Seruppu Size 7 Movie Review".