This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Homeland||Free City of Greyhawk|
|Age||† 584 CY (age 41)|
|Setting||World of Greyhawk|
Otiluke stood just over 5 feet tall, had short black hair, a thin beard, and brown eyes. He was well-dressed, but appeared rather puny. Small and weak, he's one of the few humans who could wear a magical item called gauntlets of kobold power and have it actually benefit him tremendously. It was probably intended as one of those cursed items you can't take off, but Otiluke loved his.
Otiluke was not a wise man, either. With a wisdom of 8 he was, of all the Circle, the least endowed with common sense. Mentally, he was brilliant, the match for Tenser and Bigby in sheer intellectual prowess, but some of his ideas were a few tankards short of a keg.
Otiluke was a member of the Circle of Eight, president of Greyhawk City's Society of Magi, and a member of that city's Directing Oligarchy. Imiric von Suss-Varren, a gnomish count of the Principality of Ulek, once served Otiluke as a henchman. He also lived with a young woman named Glorial, who served him as an apprentice and concubine from 580 CY until his death in 584.
Otiluke was born in early Patchwall of 542 CY. Some time around mid-573, he purchased a home in the City of Greyhawk, a townhouse in the Foreign Quarter on Summoner Court. In 576, he joined the Circle of Eight.
Otiluke is responsible for developing such commonly known spells as:
- Otiluke's Freezing Sphere or Otiluke's Icy Sphere
- Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
- Otiluke's Telekinetic Sphere
Otiluke bases a number of his creations on spheres/orbs/bubbles or screens mixed with elemental forces.
Otiluke has also developed the following additional spells:
- Otiluke's Acid Cloud
- Otiluke's Boiling Oil Bath
- Otiluke's Bubbling Buoyancy
- Otiluke's Death Screen
- Otiluke's Diamond Screen
- Otiluke's Dispelling Screen
- Otiluke's Electrical Screen
- Otiluke's Excruciating Screen
- Otiluke's Fire and Ice
- Otiluke's Force Umbrella
- Otiluke's Greater Dispelling Screen
- Otiluke's Orb of Containment
- Otiluke's Polar Screen
- Otiluke's Radiant Screen
- Otiluke's Siege Sphere
- Otiluke's Smoky Sphere
- Otiluke's Steaming Sphere
- Otiluke's Suppressing Field
Otiluke was responsible for the creation of a monster called a "howler wasp." Unnatural abominations, the product of magical meddling in genetics, these quickly-reproducing monsters are crossbreeds of giant wasps and carnivorous monkeys. Otiluke made them to defend his home against a cabal of slaadi, but he was of course unable to control them and they escaped into the wild.
Otiluke is known to have authored the following works:
- Gazette on the Norse Climates
- Otiluke's Practical Gardening
- Spherogenesis of the Multiverses
- Cook, David. "History of the Greyhawk Wars." Wars (TSR, 1991). Available Online: 
- Heard, Bruce. "Spells Between the Covers." Dragon #82 (TSR, 1984).
- Holian, Gary, Erik Mona, Sean K Reynolds, and Frederick Weining. Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (Wizards of the Coast, 2000).
- Mona, Erik, and Gary Holian. "Wheels within Wheels: Greyhawk's Circle of Eight." Living Greyhawk Journal #0 (August 2000). Available online:
- Moore, Roger E. Greyhawk: The Adventure Begins (TSR, 1998).
- Pryor, Anthony. Patriots of Ulek (TSR, 1992).
- Sargent, Carl. The City of Greyhawk (TSR, 1989).
- Ward, James M.Greyhawk Adventures (TSR, 1988).
- Williams, Skip, Penny Williams, Ari Marmell, Kolja Raven Liquette. Complete Mage (Wizards of the Coast, 2006).