Otis D. Wright II
|Otis Dalino Wright II|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of California|
|Assumed office |
April 16, 2007
|Appointed by||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Gary L. Taylor|
|Judge of the Los Angeles County Superior Court|
|Appointed by||Arnold Schwarzenegger|
|Born||Otis Dalino Wright II|
July 13, 1944
|Education||California State University at Los Angeles (B.A.)|
Southwestern Law School (J.D.)
Otis Dalino Wright II (born July 13, 1944) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Early life and education
Born in Tuskegee, Alabama, Wright received a Bachelor of Arts degree from California State University at Los Angeles in 1976 and a Juris Doctor from Southwestern Law School in 1980. He was in the United States Marine Corps from 1963 to 1966, remaining in the United States Marine Corps Reserve until 1969. He was a deputy sheriff in the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department from 1969 to 1980. He was a deputy attorney general in the Office of the Attorney General, California Department of Justice from 1980 to 1983. He was in private practice in Los Angeles, California from 1983 to 2005.
On October 28, 2005, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger announced that he would be appointing Wright to serve as a judge on the Los Angeles County Superior Court. Wright replaced Judge Lorna Parnell.
Wright was nominated to the United States District Court for the Central District of California by President George W. Bush on January 9, 2007, to a seat vacated by Gary L. Taylor. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on March 15, 2007, and received his commission on April 16, 2007.
Case Year Reason for becoming widely discussed or noted Prenda Law 2013 Ruling against a "notorious" U.S. law firm and principals, which was viewed by onlookers and the court as engaging in copyright "trolling", and alleged legal extortion practices, often via shell companies; case resulted in sanctions and law firm' dissolution. Wright's opinion had a number of Star Trek catchphrases U.S.A. v. Hudson, Whitfield & Dunlap 2014 Ruling against legitimacy of a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives ("ATF") fictional stash-house robbery sting operation; such operations had drawn significant media and judicial concerns previously for a perceived inherent lack of fairness.
- Kenneth Ofgang, Superior Court Judge Otis D. Wright II Confirmed to U.S. District Court for Central District of California, Metropolitan News-Enterprise (March 19, 2007).
- "California Courts and Judges". James Pub. 1 January 2006 – via Google Books.
- Governor Schwarzenegger Appoints Five to Los Angeles County Superior Court, Press Release: Office of the Governor (October 28, 2005).
- "Wright, Otis D. II - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Prenda hammered: Judge sends porn-trolling lawyers to criminal investigators, arstechnica.com
- Masnick, Mike (May 21, 2013). "Bad Day For Prenda Continues: Judge Rejects Stay, Adds $1k Per Day For Each Day They Don't Pay Up". TechDirt. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Otis D. Wright II at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Gary L. Taylor
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of California