Otley Museum is in the town of Otley, near Leeds in West Yorkshire, England. It holds a collection of objects, artefacts and documentary material relating to the development of Otley and the surrounding District since the prehistoric period. These include prehistoric stone tools and artefacts; an archaeological collection from the excavations of the Palace of the Archbishop of York at Otley; The Otley Printers' Engineers Collection; The Urban Development Archive, and an archive representing the Social History of Otley from the 18th Century onwards. The Otley Museum is independent, and managed and run entirely by volunteers.
Through early 2010, two rooms in the Otley Civic Centre housed the museum's eclectic collection of objects depicting the history of Otley and its surrounding District from prehistoric times through Anglo Saxon and Viking era, into the medieval period, and documenting its development from a rural community to a Victorian industrial town, and into the 20th century. When the museum had to vacate those rooms, these artefacts were placed in secure storage.
The museum's documentary and photographic collection is now housed at
Otley Cycle Club
Telephone 01943 468181
This documentary and photographic archive is open at the times published on the museum's website, which can be accessed from the external links section, below. Those who wish to view the archive are advised to phone or email with any enquiries.
- Trustees slam plans for Otley to house a national printing attraction, Wharfendale Observer, 20 June 2009. Please note that the information listed in this newspaper article may be out of date. The museum's website should be consulted for current information.
- Otley museum prepares to move exhibits, Wharfendale Observer, 27 January 2010. Please note that the information listed in this newspaper article may be out of date, and the museum's website should be consulted for current information.
- Otley Museum website - this is entirely Flash-driven so may be invisible on some mobile devices.
- Entry for the Museum in the National Archives as of 2004. Contact the Museum directly for current information.
- Search results in the National Archives database for Otley Museum holdings. Contact the Museum directly for current information.
|This article related to a museum in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|