Šent Peter (until 1952)
|Traditional region||Lower Carniola|
|Statistical region||Southeast Slovenia|
|• Total||2.47 km2 (0.95 sq mi)|
|Elevation||194.3 m (637.5 ft)|
Otočec (pronounced [ɔˈtoːtʃəts]) is a settlement on the left bank of the Krka River in the Municipality of Novo Mesto in southeastern Slovenia. The area is part of the traditional region of Lower Carniola and is now included in the Southeast Slovenia Statistical Region.
The name of the settlement was changed from Šent Peter (literally, 'Saint Peter') to Otočec (literally, 'small island') in 1952. The name was changed on the basis of the 1948 Law on Names of Settlements and Designations of Squares, Streets, and Buildings as part of efforts by Slovenia's postwar communist government to remove religious elements from toponyms.
The local parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter and belongs to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Novo Mesto. It was first mentioned in written documents dating to 1406. It was rebuilt in the 17th and 19th centuries.
Otočec Castle was first mentioned in written documents in the 13th century, built on a small island in the middle of the Krka River east of the main settlement. The islet is linked to both banks of the river by bridges and the castle has now been converted into a small hotel.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- Novo Mesto municipal site
- Spremembe naselij 1948–95. 1996. Database. Ljubljana: Geografski inštitut ZRC SAZU, DZS.
- Premk, F. 2004. Slovenska versko-krščanska terminologija v zemljepisnih imenih in spremembe za čas 1921–1967/68. Besedoslovne lastnosti slovenskega jezika: slovenska zemljepisna imena. Ljubljana: Slavistično društvo Slovenije, pp. 113–132.
- Urbanc, Mimi, & Matej Gabrovec. 2005. Krajevna imena: poligon za dokazovanje moči in odraz lokalne identitete. Geografski vestnik 77(2): 25–43.
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 2475
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 505
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Otočec.|
|This article about the Municipality of Novo Mesto in Slovenia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|