|Type||Infantry mobility vehicle|
|Place of origin||Turkey|
|Wars||War in Afghanistan (2001–present)
|Engine||General Motors V8 diesel, water cooled turbo charged 6.5 litre
|Power/weight||31 horsepower per ton|
|Suspension||Helical coil suspension|
|Speed||115 km/h (72Mph)|
The monocoque steel v-hull provides protection against small arms fire, artillery shell shrapnel, and to a certain degree against anti-personnel/tank mines and IEDs. Front wheel arches are designed to be blown away to free blast pockets.
The Cobra vehicle forms a common platform which can be adapted for various roles and mission requirements including: Armoured Personnel Carrier, Anti-Tank Vehicle, Reconnaissance Vehicle, Ground Surveillance Radar Vehicle, Forward Observation Vehicle, Armoured Ambulance, Armoured Command Post, turreted vehicle for 12.7mm machine gun (turret produced by the Israeli firm Rafael), 20mm cannon, anti-tank missiles such as the TOW missile/Spike missile or surface-to-air missiles.
Cobra can be used as an amphibious vehicle in combat. Turkish Naval Forces is now looking for a new amphibious vehicle and Otokar Cobra is listed amongst the candidates for acquisitions. There is new version it is name Otokar Cobra 2.
During the Battle of Tskhinvali of the 2008 South Ossetia war, Cobra vehicles were used by special forces of Georgian Ministry of Internal Affairs during their assault on the city. Some of the vehicles were equipped with 12.7 mm NSV machine gun and some with 40 mm automatic grenade launchers (AGL).
Otokar Cobra is also used by the Turkish Army in Afghanistan and in Anti-Terrorist operations in northern Iraq.
The terrorist organisation PKK has used several IED's and mines to blow up Turkish army's military convoys which also consisted of Cobra's. The Cobra's showed high resistance and on the vast majority cases the crew survived without any injuries, thus proving its survivability. There are also several videos available where the Otokar Cobra's RCWS has taken out several terrorist with high precision and accuracy. However, after the PKK blew up a Cobra killing eight soldiers inside it on August 19th 2015 using a land mine, the Turkish government decided to upgrade its fleet of armed vehicles.
- United Arab Emirates
- "Cobra Light Armoured Vehicle - Army Technology". army-technology.com. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Otokar Cobra is a true all-terrain fighting machine". Fox News. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Independent International Fact Finding Mission on the Conflict in Georgia, Final report Volume III. p.121
- "Yerli üretim savunma sanayimizi destekliyoruz". facebook.com. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Turkish army to upgrade armored vehicles - POLITICS". hurriyetdailynews.com. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "SECURITY OPERATIONS IN INSURGENCY-PRONE ‘EMERGENCY RULE’ AREAS OF N.E NIGERIA : EID-EL-FITR CELEBRATIONS 8-9 AUGUST, 2013 (PHOTO CREDIT: SUNDAY ALAMBA/ASSOCIATED PRESS) - Beegeagle's Blog". Beegeagle's Blog. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Otokar cobra of Dhaka Metropolitan Police ~ Bangladesh Defence". defencebd.com. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Otokar Kazakistan'da 'Cobra' üretecek". MİLLİYET HABER - TÜRKİYE'NİN HABER SİTESİ. 7 May 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Turqia e mbështet fuqishëm FSK-në". MFSK - MKBS - MKSF. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "DM Besimi receives Turkish donation for ARM". Влада на Република Македонија. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "NIGERIAN ARMY OTOKAR COBRA APC: ORIENTED TOWARDS URBAN BRAWLS". Beegeagle's Blog. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Cobra Armored Personnel Carrier".
- "36.000 evrov za uro leta". Prvi interaktivni multimedijski portal, MMC RTV Slovenija. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Turkey's Otokar Wins Armored Vehicle Contract From UN". Defense News. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Otokar Cobra.|