|Ōtsuka Seiyaku Kabushiki-gaisha|
|Traded as||TYO: 4578
TOPIX 100 Component
|Founded||1964; 53 years ago|
|Headquarters||Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan|
|Tatsuo Higuchi (President)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Otsuka Holdings Co. Ltd|
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (大塚製薬株式会社? Ōtsuka Seiyaku Kabushiki-gaisha) (TYO: 4578), abbreviated OPC, is a pharmaceutical company headquartered in Tokyo, Osaka and Naruto, Japan. The company was established August 10, 1964. As of 2012[update], OPC employed 40,000 people worldwide. The company focuses on pharmaceuticals related to nutrition (or "nutraceuticals"). The company is also known for the popular sports drink Pocari Sweat and the best-selling energy drink Oronamin C. Otsuka Pharmaceutical also developed Abilify (aripiprazole), an approved drug treatment for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, which they claim has a better side effect profile compared with other antipsychotic drugs. As of 2013[update], annual sales of Abilify were over $8 billion a year, making it the highest grossing drug worldwide as of late 2013.
OPC's parent company Otsuka Holdings Co. Ltd. joined the Tokyo Stock Exchange through an initial public offering (IPO) on December 15, 2010, at which time Otsuka Holdings was Japan's No.2 drug maker by sales after industry leader Takeda Pharmaceutical Company. The IPO debuted at $2.4 billion, making it the largest for a pharmaceutical company up to that time.
In early 2012, Otsuka announced it would focus its "future operations on CNS disorders and oncology". This decision necessitated a revision in the terms of an agreement with UCB to end collaboration on immunology products while continuing collaboration in the CNS area.
In March 2017, the company agreed to acquire Neurovance, inc for $250 million, gaining the firm’s Phase III-ready ADHD drug centanafadine (previously EB-1020). Otsuka's subsidiary Otsuka America will pay $100 million upfront for Neurovance, plus up-to $150 million in development and approval milestones. As a result of the transaction, Neurovance will operate as an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary.
- Nature Made vitamins and supplements
- Oronamin C
- Pocari Sweat
- Calorie Mate
- Metromint Water
- Metroelectro Water
- Crystal Geyser Water
- Fibe Mini
- Tokushima Vortis, football club in Naruto formerly owned by Otsuka and still sponsored by Pocari Sweat.
- (Japanese) Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company, Limited.
- (English) Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company, Limited
- (English) Otsuka Holdings, Corporate Information
- Fujita, Junko; Slodkowski, Antoni (December 16, 2010), Nathan Layne, ed., Otsuka up 5 pct in Tokyo debut after $2.4 bln IPO-UPDATE 1 (Reuters news), Forexyard, forexyard.com, retrieved January 15, 2012
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and UCB Group (UCBJF.PK) End Cimzia Collaboration, to Focus on CNS Disorders Instead, BioSpace, January 13, 2012, retrieved January 15, 2012
- UCB and Otsuka to focus collaboration on CNS disorders, Zenopa, January 13, 2012, zenopa.com, retrieved January 15, 2012
- Tim Kelly (5 September 2013). "Japan's Otsuka to buy cancer drug maker Astex Pharma". Reuters.