Otto Bütschli in 1916
|Died||2 February 1920 (aged 71)|
|Alma mater||University of Karlsruhe|
|Awards||Linnean Medal (1914)|
|Doctoral advisor||Rudolf Leuckart|
|Doctoral students||Wladimir Schewiakoff Richard Goldschmidt|
Johann Adam Otto Bütschli (3 May 1848 – 2 February 1920) was a German zoologist and professor at the University of Heidelberg. He specialized in invertebrates and insect development. Many of the groups of protists were first recognized by him.
Bütschli was born Frankfurt am Main. He studied mineralogy, chemistry, and paleontology in Karlsruhe and became assistant of Karl Alfred von Zittel (geology and paleontology). He moved to Heidelberg in 1866 and worked with Robert Bunsen (chemistry). He received his PhD from the University of Heidelberg in 1868, after passing examinations in geology, paleontology, and zoology. He joined Rudolf Leuckart at the University of Leipzig in 1869. After leaving his studies to serve as an officer in the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871), Bütschli worked in his private laboratory and then for two years (1873-1874) with Karl Möbius at the University of Kiel. After that, he worked privately. In 1876, he made Habilitation. He became professor at the University of Heidelberg, as successor of Alexander Pagenstecher, in 1878. He held this position for over 40 years.
- Clifford Dobler (1951). "In memoriam Otto Bütschli (1848–1920) "architect of protozoology"". Isis. 42 (1): 20–22. doi:10.1086/349230. JSTOR 226661.
- Fokin, S.I. (2013). "Otto Bütschli (1848–1920): Where we will genuflect?" Protistology, 8 (1), 22–35.
- Goldschmidt, R. B. 1966 The Golden Age of Zoology. Portraits from Memory. Seattle and London, University of Washington Press.
- Goldschmidt, R. (1920). "Otto Büschli 1848–1929". Die Naturwissenschaften. 8 (28): 553–557. doi:10.1007/bf02448530.
- Hoffmann, D., Laitko, H., Müller-Wille, S. [Hrsg.] and Jahn, Ilse 2003 Lexikon der bedeutenden Naturwissenschaftler. In drei Bänden. Heidelberg, Berlin Spektrum Akademischer Verlag 1 (A-E).
- Media related to Otto Bütschli at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a German zoologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an entomologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|