27 May 1922|
Zweibrücken, Weimar Republic
|Died||24 January 2015
|Years of service||1940–45|
|Rank||Oberleutnant of the Reserves|
|Unit||21st Panzer Regiment
Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502
Schwere Panzerjägerabteilung 512
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Otto Carius (27 May 1922 – 24 January 2015) was a German tank commander within the German Army who fought during World War II. He was a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves, awarded by Nazi Germany to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
World War II
Otto Carius enlisted in the army and first served in the infantry, before volunteering for the Panzer branch.  In 1943, Carius transferred to the 502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion. He became commander of a Jagdtiger company of the 512th Heavy Antitank Battalion at the beginning of 1945. On 8 March 1945, 2nd Company was directed to the front line near Siegburg, where it took part in the defense of the River Rhine. He surrendered to the United States Army on 7 May 1945 and was released on 21 May 1945. Carius died on 24 January 2015 at age 92. The news coverage around his death described him as a "panzer ace credited with destroying more than 150 enemy tanks, mostly on the Eastern Front."
- Tigers in the Mud – The Combat Career of German Panzer Commander Otto Carius. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-2911-6.
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Panzer Badge in Silver
- "Otto Carius". The Times. 12 February 2015. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- Stockert 2012, p. 124.
- German World War II Panzer Ace Otto Carius Dies at 92, Mercury News
- Thomas 1997, p. 97.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 257.
- Carius 2003, Document 27
- Carius 2003, Document 26
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Stockert, Peter (2012). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 6 [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 6] (in German) (3rd ed.). Bad Friedrichshall, Germany: Friedrichshaller Rundblick. OCLC 76072662.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2299-6.