Otto Lang (film producer)
NH Peckett's Inn 1936
21 January 1908|
|Died||30 January 2006
|Occupation||ski school instructor/director, film producer|
|Years active||1928–1984 (ski)|
Otto Lang (21 January 1908 – 30 January 2006) was a skier and pioneer ski instructor from Bosnia and Herzegovina, who lived and worked in the United States. He founded ski schools on Mount Rainier, Mount Baker and Mount Hood beginning in the 1930s, and as the director of the ski school at Sun Valley became the ski instructor for Hollywood stars. Later he became a movie director and producer, primarily due to his contacts at Sun Valley. He demonstrated ski techniques in Jerome Hill's documentary Ski Flight (1938) which premiered at Radio City Music Hall.
Lang was hired by Darryl F. Zanuck to assist with the ski sequences of the 1941 movie Sun Valley Serenade starring Sonja Henie, which ultimately led to his cinematic work. Some of his notable feature films include Call Northside 777 (1948 - producer), 5 Fingers (1952 - producer), Search for Paradise (working title The Search for Shangri-La) (1956 - director) and Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970 - associate producer of the Japanese segments). He produced the short films Vesuvius Express (1953), The First Piano Quartette (1954) and Jet Carrier (1954) nominated for Academy Awards.
Otto Lang is also an author. His memoir, A Bird of Passage – The Story of My Life -- From the Alps of Austria to Hollywood, U.S.A., was published in 1994, and the same year he was presented Ski Film Maker Legend of the Year award at the Crested Butte International Ski Film Festival. Around the World in 90 Years – Images From My Life’s Journey, published in 2000, is a collection of photographs taken by Mr. Lang during his lifelong travels. The pages include his anecdotal descriptions of the photographs and his life. In 1978 he was inducted into the US National Ski Hall of Fame, and in 2004 he was presented a Lifetime Achievement Award from the North American Snowsports Journalists Association.
- Lang, Otto (1936) Downhill Skiing New York: H. Holt and company OCLC 2105449
- Lang, Otto (1940) Ski Tips Portland, OR: Hirsch-Weiss, White Stag
- Lang, Otto (1941) How To Ski: A Book For Both the Beginner and the Experienced Skier New York: The Sun Dial Press OCLC 1862697
- Lang, Otto (1994) A Bird of Passage: the story of my life Helena, Mont.: SkyHouse Publishers ISBN 9781560442943
- Lang, Otto (2000) Around the World in 90 Years – Images From My Life’s Journey Seattle, Wash.: Elton-Wolf Pub. ISBN 9781586190170
- ISHA (Winter 1995) "A Bird of Passage" Skiing Heritage Journal Vol. 7, No. 1: 33-40
- Crestview, Florida, "Cinerama Crews Shooting New Movie At Eglin AFB", The Okaloosa News-Journal - Edgewater Area News section, Thursday 1 November 1956, Volume 42, Number 44, page 1.
- ISHA (Sep 1993) "I.S.H.A. Members Invited to Film Festival" Skiing Heritage Journal Vol. 5, No. 2:6
- "Otto Lang" (1978) Honored Members US Ski Hall of Fame