Otto von Schrader
|Otto von Schrader|
Otto von Schrader (5th from left)
|Born||18 March 1888|
|Died||19 July 1945
|Allegiance|| German Empire
|Service/branch|| Kaiserliche Marine
|Years of service||1907–45|
|Commands held||SM UB-35
light cruiser Königsberg
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Otto von Schrader (18 March 1888 – 19 July 1945) was a German Admiral during World War II and a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross of Nazi Germany. As a U boat commander during World War I he was credited with the sinking of 57 ships for a total of 54,655 gross register tons (GRT), a further 6 ships damaged for a total of 52,333 GRT, including SS Justicia, and one ship taken as prize for a total of 336 GRT. Schrader was taken prisoner of war in Norway at the end of World war II. He committed suicide in Norwegian captivity on 19 July 1945.
- Iron Cross (1914) 1st Class (1 August 1916)
- Knight's Cross of the House Order of Hohenzollern with Swords (5 March 1922)
- Hanseatic Cross of Hamburg (5 March 1922)
- U-boat War Badge (20 November 1926)
- Gallipoli Star (Ottoman War Medal - Turkish: Harp Madalyası) (20 November 1926)
- Knight's Cross with Crown of the Bulgarian Order of Military Merit (20 November 1926)
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939) 1st Class (5 May 1940)
- German Cross in Gold on 20 November 1941 as Vizeadmiral and Admiral of the Norwegian West Coast
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 19 August 1943 as Admiral as commanding admiral of the Norwegian West Coast
- Dörr 1996, p. 236.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 423.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 682.
- Michael Böcker: "Admiral Otto von Schrader (1888-1945). Marineoffizier in der Zeit der Weltkriege." Dissertation in Form einer Biografie, Wuppertal April 2015, 352.S ISBN 978-3-00-048402-5
- Dörr, Manfred (1996) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Überwasserstreitkräfte der Kriegsmarine—Band 2:L–Z. Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio Verlag. ISBN 3-7648-2497-2.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2..